Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Vitaliy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vitaliy

Re: veeam agent in dmz environment

Post by Vitaliy »

I join this problem!
At the moment, we are looking for a solution for backing up our infrastructure, while I prefer Veeam.
The development of our infrastructure is in accordance with the concept-Zero Trust and DMZ is an integral part of it - the entire telecommunications infrastructure will be segmented! It is unacceptable to initiate communication from the DMZ to the control network, this critically significantly reduces the security of the infrastructure!
Faced with the fact that Veeam in this situation refuses to work!

Zero Trust is a trend of recent years, it is unpleasant that a company like Veeam does not follow it...

Therefore, if Veeam does not provide a solution soon, we will most likely, unfortunately, have to consider other backup solutions!
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Post by JaySt »

any news on this one?
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

Ping
Veeam Certified Engineer
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello JaySt,

Generally no updates to share but with upcoming v12 there would be an option to directly backup to object storage repository where only periodic connection to Veeam B&R is required (to renew license on the agent side and upload job logs), I wonder if that might be a solution? Thank you!
Grant D.
Lurker
Full Name: Grant Deters

Post by Grant D. »

You don't seem to know what Zero Trust is based on your comment.
Vitaliy wrote: Apr 30, 2021 8:15 am I join this problem!
At the moment, we are looking for a solution for backing up our infrastructure, while I prefer Veeam.
The development of our infrastructure is in accordance with the concept-Zero Trust and DMZ is an integral part of it - the entire telecommunications infrastructure will be segmented! It is unacceptable to initiate communication from the DMZ to the control network, this critically significantly reduces the security of the infrastructure!
Faced with the fact that Veeam in this situation refuses to work!

Zero Trust is a trend of recent years, it is unpleasant that a company like Veeam does not follow it...

Therefore, if Veeam does not provide a solution soon, we will most likely, unfortunately, have to consider other backup solutions!
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

Dima P. wrote: Mar 22, 2022 9:33 pm Hello JaySt,

Generally no updates to share but with upcoming v12 there would be an option to directly backup to object storage repository where only periodic connection to Veeam B&R is required (to renew license on the agent side and upload job logs), I wonder if that might be a solution? Thank you!
no not really. focus needs to be on standard repositories. the solution must have the feature to not require initiating connections from DMZ to VBR. Initiating a connection to the repository role on a single port would be discusable perhaps. That port should then be configurable, specifically for DMZ servers perhaps.
Veeam Certified Engineer
Marcelo Soria
Novice
Full Name: Marcelo Soria

Post by Marcelo Soria »

Hi there.. I realize this "magick click" on the definition of "Log Shipping Server".. this is on the Infratructure. You need to Add a Windows server. for me the SQL Server who want to process the log, and then add this as a log shipping server. When yo add the Windows Server in the Veeam Infrastructure you have a place were define the Ports. On there, there is a selection to say "Run server on this side". With that all connections will be from inside network to the DMZ server.
"Backup Infrastructure" "Managed Servers" "Add Server" "Microsoft Windows" "DNS name or IP address" "Credentials" <-- here click Ports and select "Run server on this side".

I didn't found out explanation on this option, but doing it there were no more problems with Seginfo. (I'm sorry for my rusty English!)