Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Veeam Agent inability to backup to VCC when managed by VBR

Post by RubinCompServ »

I have a number of customers with a hybrid environment (combination of physical & virtual servers). For those customers, we have been using a different (inferior) backup product that could provide centralized "one-stop-shop" management for all of their backups (with said backups going to our storage). When Veeam announced that 9.5u3 would include agent deployment management, I was thrilled and eagerly built out my test lab. Alas, 'twas was for naught, when I discovered that while Veeam agents can back up to Cloud Connect, Veeam agents deployed by B&R cannot. I've come up with a couple of workarounds (use VAC or use the Agent to backup locally and then B&R to do a Backup Copy to VCC) but neither of those are actually practical (involving VAC decentralizes the "centralized management" and these customers generally don't have enough local storage available to perform local backups), which leaves us providing a block of our customers with an inferior backup product.

I can't imagine that this is such a corner case that Veeam didn't consider the need. Has anyone else run in to this situation and, if so, how did you resolve it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent inability to backup to VCC when managed by V

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

True. We do not have support for Cloud Connect repository in managed by agent job but we plan to add this functionality in later versions. Meanwhile, have you tried Veeam Availability Console for managing your agents?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Dima,

As I said in my original post, involving VAC decentralizes the "centralized management". I still don't understand why Veeam thought that removing functionality would be a good idea.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

David,

The functionality was not removed, it was postponed because we need to solve the granular access permissions challenge in Veeam B&R (for example VAC can create subtenants for every agent automatically).
marius402
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marius Redelinghuys

[MERGED] VAW Direct backup to Cloud Connect

Post by marius402 »

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking, but can't find a definitive answer.

Can B&R backup a server, centrally managed, with VAW to Cloud Connect directly without doing an intermediate local disk target?

Further explanation: If I backup from the server, with the agent, to Cloud Connect, I can backup directly. If I manage the server centrally from B&R and I select destination, I only see local data stores and not the Cloud Connect Repo. I have tried this from two different sites to confirm, both respond the same. Is there a way to force or work around first backing it up to local disk and then doing a copy job to the cloud?

Regards

Marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marius,

Yes, you're right, today it is not possible with Veeam B&R being a centralized management server for our backup agents. If you're a VCSP, you can give Veeam Availability Console a try, since VAC allows to do target your VAW jobs directly to Cloud Connect repository.

Thanks!
marius402
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marius Redelinghuys

Post by marius402 »

Thank you. Any date that this might become available? VAC is not really an option in our case
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

We'll consider it as a feature request for an upcoming updates/releases.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Wixner
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] No option to backup to Cloud Connect Repository

Post by Wixner »

Hi,

We're currently evaluating Veeam as our only backup solution - Backup and Replication for our virtual environment and Veeam Agent for our physical Windows and Linux servers as well as our customers virtual and physical servers and workstations.

I have installed Veeam Backup and Replication, the evaluation license of Cloud Connect, configured the self-signed certificate as well as the Cloud Gateway and the Cloud Repository (a subset of our Default Backup Repository) but the option to connect to the Cloud Connect Repository does not appear in our Veeam Agent for Windows backup configuration. However, the option appear under "Remote Storage" if I try to restore a file directly from the Notification Icon => Restore => Individual files

I have verified that the Veeam Agent for Windows has been assigned a license in the License Panel but I really can't get the Cloud Connect Repository to appear.

I would really love to get this to work and show my superiors that we can get rid of all our legacy backup solutions.

Cheers
Patrik Wixner
Datacenter Manager
Internport Sweden AB
Patrik Wixner
Datacenter Manager
Internetport Sweden AB
www.internetport.se
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Patrik,

This option is not available natively in Veeam B&R yet, but we're planning to add it down the road (check out Dima's reply). On a side note, since you were eligible to get a Cloud Connect key, then you should be able to take a look at Veeam Availability Console that can address your use case today.

Thank you!
Wixner
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Wixner »

Vi Vitaly and Thank You

Yes I just found out that if I install the license for Cloud Connect during the Veeam Agent installation I do get the option to connect to my Cloud Connect Repository but I'll take alook at the VAC.
Do you have any plans to release the Veeam Agent for Mac?

Cheers
Patrik
Patrik Wixner
Datacenter Manager
Internetport Sweden AB
www.internetport.se
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To make your research on VAC easier, this is the option that would allow you to target Agents directly to the cloud repository > Setting up the cloud backup policy

As for the Agent for Mac, then this topic still stand true, please take a look > Backup OS other than Windows
marcosmessias
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcos Messias

Re: Veeam Agent inability to backup to VCC when managed by VBR

Post by marcosmessias »

Hi,

Same problem here. We have a client with +20 remote offices mixed with Hyper-V VMs and Windows Physical machines. There's no local repository and he wanted to backup all his workload directly to Cloud Connect and manage through Veeam Backup Console. I believe that i can do this to the Hyper-V VMs but it's not possible with Veeam Agents yet, correct!?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marcos, does your client want to send backups to the service provider or he is acting as a service provider for internal departments? If it is later, then he can consider using Veeam Availability Console for the Enterprise which will unlock this scenario for Veeam Agents while he is waiting for this feature to be supported in one of the next Veeam B&R releases.
marcosmessias
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcos Messias

Post by marcosmessias »

Hi Vitaly, our client wants to send the backup to the service provider.

Ok, we will wait for this feature, for now i will try a different approach with local storage + cloud copy. Thank you.