Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jmusac
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Fly

Veeam Agent Kills Cisco Switch

Post by jmusac »

Hi,

I Installed Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.1.0.423 Free Edition on one of my Windows Servers.
I setup daily backup. When backup starts it completely kills Cisco 3750 gigabit switch. The switch starts loosing packets.
The switch has more than enough switching and bandwidth capacity to handle this backup.
There are all kinds of heavy load on that switch but only Veaam backup causes problems, event it consumes 50% bandwidth of single gigabit port.

Any clues ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent Kills Cisco Switch

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Joe,

Never heard about issues with Cisco Switches. May I ask you to open the case with our support team and share the case ID with me, so I could pass it to our QA team for investigation? Thank you in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like a switch malfunction, if it cannot handle absolutely regular TCP/IP traffic at 50% of PHY bandwidth.
jmusac
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Fly

Post by jmusac » 1 person likes this post

@Dima P. Case ID is #03074538
@Gostev, switch is replaced with HP proliant solution. Same thing happens.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

It seems I am not the only person having this issue ?

I am testing VAWW (licensed) and VAW (free) for lappy backup via a VBR server (repository in NAS storage at HQ)....I have 3 sites, remote DC and HQ. So far testing on HQ only.
When running 1 or 2 VAWW & VAW jobs on a few lappy, I noticed that the ping from HQ to DC or HQ to other sites drops....average 15 drops per 20 pings.

The drop is more prominent during first backups where there are larger backups (I only backup "personal files").
This usually starts when the jobs hit ;like 22%-37% and ceases when the job reaches 87% or sometimes 92%.

I have tested and found that VAWW & VAW kills off Dell switches, HP switches, different Wireless APs as well....one lappy backup and the rest of the users start complaining that network is slow.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

zadrian,

Do you have a case ID to share? Thanks.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

Dima P. wrote:zadrian,

Do you have a case ID to share? Thanks.
Nope....is there support for Free or 90 evaluation licenses ?
We had a Veeam sales rep come down and he said this issue may be addressed in the future release (likely VAWW 2.3 & VBR 10). Some automatic throttling of bandwidth.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

s there support for Free or 90 evaluation licenses ?
Yup, you can open a case both for trial license and for free product (for VAW you can do that via Control Panel > Support for VBR thru veeam.com website).