Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Veeam Agent service won't start

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

We have a Hyper-V Host that acts as a replication destination for another Hyper-V Host. We have the latest Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW) on this machine to back up the OS partition but at the moment the service for the VAW says it has started but the Console says it isn't running. Restarting the service results in it saying "starting..." but eventually times out.

I uninstalled VAW and reinstalled, but during the install it says "Cannot start service" (below). I can't reboot this server as it has half a dozen VMs running on it. I think I've got to the point that I'm not sure what I can do now.

This KB article (below) was of no help, and the last line made me slap my forehead and think of that infamous BIOS error that says "Keyboard not found, press any key to continue" as it asks that I open a support ticket from within the Veeam Agent that isn't functional.

"If the described methods do not resolve the issue, please open a support case by going to VEB/VAW Control Panel > Support > Technical Support."

https://www.veeam.com/kb1959

Opened a ticket through that client's Backup & Replication account. Case #03157309.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent service won't start

Post by Dima P. »

Hello!

Thanks for sharing. I am afraid eventually you have to reboot this host (I was thinking about database recreation solution but again it requires your server to be reboot). Please keep working with our support team and let me know if you need any assistance from our side.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi Dima,

I re-created the database but haven't rebooted. Will do so tonight and will let you know where we get up to.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great, thanks! Please keep up posted.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Talked to a Veeam technician for about an hour, they said it was a SQL issue. The technician installed SQL Server Management Studio to unmount the database and rebuilt the database using a regedit change. After a reboot in the weekend after midnight the Veeam Agent is back up and running.