Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
andyman3000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Perkins

Veeam Agent with App Aware Proc Disabled "Touches" Logs Case # 03237764

Post by andyman3000 »

Case # 03237764
Hello,

I am using Veeam Agent to backup an entire Physical SCCM server with SQL running locally on the server, but the SQL DBA team has their own set of tools that backup the SQL databases in our organization.

Therefore currently all of our Veeam backups have SQL/Application processing disabled and we are only doing image level backups.

The DBA's have enabled LogShipping of the SQL database of the server in question to a DR SCCM server, and they are hoping to set up some sort of HA solution, But apparently even with AAP disabled, the DBA is still seeing NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM interact with transaction/log files which effects the chain of the database being logshipped to DR. Here is a screenshot the DBA is showing me (it seems to occur during the Veeam backup window)

I've never seen this problem on other App servers hosting SQL that I back up (But not all of them have LogShipping to DR enabled, which am trying to find a similar server to compare with), and was hoping to get some confirmation that Veeam Agent backup with disabled AAP should not be interacting with the logs at all. I feel like Veeam should be able to do an entire image level backup, but still not touch any of the logs of the database.

This is part of the bigger picture of a problem I have within our organization as why Veeam is not allowed to handle the SQL backups of databases -- When Veeam processes SQL it breaks the LogShipping used for our DR/HA strategy. Is any other customers having a similar problem?
(LogShipping is a DBA solution for HA/DR when I beleive we need an Infrastructure solution like Veeam or VMWare Replication -- But still that does not help me with Physical servers needing up-to-date failover ability)

Thanks,
Andy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent with App Aware Proc Disabled "Touches" Logs Case # 03237764

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Andy,

Try to enable SQL processing, specify the DB account and add all the database to VSS exclusion list via this regkey:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup

Multi-String value with the name ExcludeSqlDatabasesFromBackup
Add the instance/database name in any format like below. One entry per string.

IntanceName:DatabaseName;
InstanceName:;
:DatabaseName;
Let me know how it goes. Thanks!