Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Della
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adele Swart

Veeam backup detail

Post by Della » 1 person likes this post

Good day

I am not a sysadmin or backup admin, but need to report on backups. I need the following info:
- backup name
- backup time slot
- backup type (for example increment/full)
- status once done
- data processed GB
- duration of backup (dd:hh:mm:ss)
- speed of backup (MB/s)

Is there a way I can export this data to a .csv to allow it to import in my visualisation tool? Run query on SQL Server to populate the .csv and use that as my input?

If I can run query, can you perhaps assist me with the table & column names?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam backup detail

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Adele,

If you have a handful of backup agents deployed, then you can try to use our email notification reports to retrieve this data. Here is the sample of how it looks like >
Viewing Job Session Results in Email Reports. Querying our configuration db directly is not supported.

If you are also using Veeam B&R repository as a target for your VAW backups and you have Veeam ONE, then please be aware that we have a predefined report (and planning to add more in our next release) > Protected Computers.

On a side note, what visualisation tool do you use?

Thank you!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 2 people like this post

Hi Adele,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Veeam community forums!

By any chance, do you use Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager? If your Veeam Backup & Replication instance is connected with it you could get the data you require for each backup job specifically. You can find more information on the EM reporting features here.

Here is an example of the output for a specific job:

Code: Select all

Start Time		End Time	        Result Performance Rate Data Transferred
08/29/2018 16:57:17	08/29/2018 16:57:26	Failed	0 KB/s	0.0 B
08/29/2018 16:57:52	08/29/2018 17:00:29	Success	88 MB/s	1.2 GB
Della
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adele Swart

Post by Della »

Thank you for your feedback.

I will chat to my backup champion in the morning to confirm what products we are using.

@Wishr, I saw in the link you've provided, that one can export the backup information, can this export function be automated.

@Vitaliy S, I wanted to pull the information in Google Data Studio to build a dashboard that will display the info visually for all our backup specifications/jobs. If I am correct, we have multiple backup specifications and in each is a few servers that is back'd up. Over a period of time we would like to see the avg run time (identify if it increases over time) and also the backup size.

Currently our guys are capturing this data manually per backup - this is not adding value in my opinion. There must be a better way to get this information with an automated process.

I will chat to our backup champion in the morning to confirm all your questions about veeam.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Dear Adele,

Unfortunately, the XLS file with the data showcased in my previous post can be only obtained manually using the "Export" button, but there is a possibility to get general statistics on backup jobs using Veeam EM RESTful API. Please note, that you require Veeam EM to be installed and connected with your Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure to use the API, and agent-managed jobs are not yet supported by the API.

If it is suitable for you to get the data by email and then manually accumulate it in CSV for further importing into Google Data Studio, then the solution proposed above by Vitaliy would better fit your requirements. The notification emails can be automated and be configured for all jobs or even specific ones. Agent-managed jobs are supported by this feature. You can find more information here.

Please let us know if the aforementioned suggestion could work for you. Thanks!
stubbint
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trevor Stubbins

Post by stubbint »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Sep 24, 2018 4:50 pm Hello Adele,

If you have a handful of backup agents deployed, then you can try to use our email notification reports to retrieve this data. Here is the sample of how it looks like >
Viewing Job Session Results in Email Reports. Querying our configuration db directly is not supported.

Hi Vitaliy - How can running a query against an SQL database be "not supported"? I understand that you could change the table layouts between versions, which could void a particular query, but surely that's an issue for the person who wrote the query. Is it simply because you don't want support calls for this type of problem, or is there a more fundamental reason?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Trevor,

It is the first reason, as there is no guarantee that the database schema will remain unchanged from updates and major releases and also there were some support cases when manipulating with database tables caused issues with restore chains. To avoid all this, we are doing our best to develop public APIs, usage of which will be fully supported when opening case with our technical team.

Hope this makes sense!