Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe not working for Endpoints

Post by Anguel »

Hi!

I am using Veeam Endpoint backup 1.5 to do endpoint backups to a central VBR repository and then use backup copy jobs with encryption to a NAS repository from where I perform manual copies to USB disks that I take offsite.
So far so good. Now I wanted to test if I can restore those backups from my USB disks and found a few annoying things:
1. Looks like Veeam does not have a stand-alone restore tool, especially no file level restore. This is strange for a program claiming to be a market leader in backup. It is a pain to have to setup a complete server just to be able to get back some of your files from offsite backup if you need them fast or if you need to test if restore is working at all.
2. There seems to be a "workaround" to restore complete VMs using Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe which however does not support restoring the latest incrementals, just the base backup - again very annoying.
3. The main problem is that endpoints cannot be restored like VMs: While Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe outputs *.vhdx files for VMs I get the following for endpoints:
83ecbdca-3329-4655-bc2e-376f4b98b183 - 430 GB
digest_1e59bb1c-51bf-4f5e-8e98-e9a6c6b75279 - 5 KB
digest_4ce67c82-32d7-4233-bdfd-f73f0c899729 - 4 MB
Windows says that the file is damaged if try to rename the big file to *.vhdx ...
Please correct me if I misunderstand something. Any advice is welcome.

Anguel
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe not working for Endpoints

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Anguel,

It's true extractor tool does not support VEB/VAW backup files due the difference in metadata.
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

This is too bad. However if I rename to zip I can see the partitions as .img files with 7zip. Does this help?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

This won't work as this is a complete different architecture. As mentioned currently you can't use the extractor tool for Agent backups.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen