Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
petervandalen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: peter van dalen

veeam bare metal restore

Post by petervandalen »

Hello reader,

I am figuring out the features of VEEAM. I use the veeam agent to create backups of by laptop disk to a USB connected external hard drive. No problem there.
But my issue is: imagine my laptop disk crashes and I must recreate. Then I want to read my external hard disk , containing the full backup to be restored to the new disk. I use the USB software that contains my backupped disk. But the bare metal recovery does NOT see the external USB drive.

Note: this is my test that does not work.

What is my problem? The requirement is BASIC.

Sorry that I did not study all answers that are available.

Thanks, Peter van Dalen, NL.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: veeam bare metal restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello petervandalen,
petervandalen wrote: But the bare metal recovery does NOT see the external USB drive.
In general – this scenario is fully supported. What type of USB drive are you using and how it is connected to your computer during Bare Metal Recovery? Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: veeam bare metal restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Peter,
On top of Dima's reply. Did you use our tool to create a recovery disk? Are you booting from that one?. Please check if there are drivers that are not loaded. Some laptops have specific USB drivers that are not included on the recovery media (for example, when that recovery media was created on another laptop or some time ago and firmware has changed) so starting or loading the USB driver manually might sometimes be needed.