Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Veeam community how to backup the server itself

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
I installed veam community on my home pc to be able to backup my three home computers. I created a protection group and added the vbr server (localhost) to it using the admin account. Veeam agent installed, then I created a job with the workstation type, then it automatically checked the "Managed by agent" option and ok the backups are working, only from within the agent when I try to do anything, such as selecting a new job with the option to send to Onedrive then I get the message "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it managed by your system administrator.". So how is it possible to have a VBR installed and an agent on the same machine and be able to manage that agent from within it?
dwj7738
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Johnson

Re: Veeam community how to backup the server itself

Post by dwj7738 »

you have to add the job using Veeam B&R and not by using the agent itself
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam community how to backup the server itself

Post by Mildur »

Hi

As David already commented, use a protection group and a backup job in the VBR console to backup the VBR server itself.

Addionally, the configuration backup will provide you a solution to restore the entire VBR configuration back to a newly installed VBR Server.
If your goal is to have a second copy of the backups on the VBR server, use a backup copy job to copy the backups to another storage.
such as selecting a new job with the option to send to Onedrive
OneDrive as a backup target will be removed in our next version. I don't recommend to use OneDrive as a backup target. You will not be able to update your agents to newer versions, which is necessary, for example, to support new versions of Windows.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software