Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexB82
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Alex

Re: Veeam recovery media fails to start - Windows 10

Post by AlexB82 »

it@ott.co.za wrote: Aug 13, 2019 2:41 pm Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, was this issue resolved?
Problem Recovery media booting up with the command prompt x:\
I had this exact issue. Didn't matter what version of VAW I used, anything built in 1903 failed. In the end, I used an older machine running 1709, installed Agent 2.2 and built the recovery disk from that. Problem solved.
asc4
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Axel Schindler

Post by asc4 »

After VAW Upgrade to 3.0.2 on Win10 19.03 I created new recovery media on USB stick for two laptops.
Testing recovery media from laptop1 runs fine during boot but fails when starting Bare Metal Recovery with error "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {91CC5B9C-EB33-4621-00E3-78BE7FE1FCA3} failed .... Class not registered"

The recovery media created on laptop2 starts Veeam Volume Level Restore Wizard without problems.

So I digged a bit deeper into the 2 machines, using valuable info from topic post274575.html and found the difference in the contents of the boot partition of Win10, usually named "system reserved", which may be made available using Disk Management by assigning a drive letter.
There exists a directory "Recovery" on both machines.
Inside this on laptop1 only resided a dir "WindowsRE" that contained a Winre.wim file dated from 2015.
Renaming "WindowsRE" to "WindowsRE__" and recreating the Veeam Recovery Media did the trick, now both USB sticks are working to start the recovery wizard.
I didn't test a recovery however.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Axel,

Issues with the recovery partition might be related to Windows 10 update procedure (since they recreate recovery partitions or even add additional ones during update installation). I'd suggest to recreate Veeam Recovery Media from scratch, take a new backup and test Bare Metal Recovery from new recovery media and on the latest restore point. If you still see this issue, please raise a support case and share the case ID. Cheers!