Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
FabioMuzzi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fabio Muzzi

Veeam service closes after starting (SqlLocalDB instance 'VeeamEndPoint' was not found)

Post by FabioMuzzi »

First of all, I'm sorry I cannot submit a case using VAW interface because when I click "submit" it throws a generic error (an error occurred) and does not submit the case.

I have this Win10 pro PC (fully updated) where VAW stopped working at some point in time (2 weeks ago, maybe).
Going into event viewer, I see that the service crashes on start with the following error:

Code: Select all

Impossibile avviare il servizio. System.Exception: SqlLocalDB instance 'VeeamEndPoint' was not found
   in Veeam.Common.CSqlLocalDb.GetInstance(String instanceName)
   in Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.PrepareSqlInstanceImpl(ISqlLocalDbAccessProvider sqlLocalDbAccessProvider, DatabaseFile databaseFile, Boolean recreateDatabase, Boolean reattachDatabase)
   in Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.PrepareSqlInstance(DatabaseFile databaseFile, ISqlLocalDbAccessProvider sqlLocalDbAccessProvider)
   in Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl.InitDb(DatabaseFile databaseFile)
   in Veeam.EndPoint.CEndPointServiceImpl..ctor(CVbOptions options, CTerminationMediator terminator, CExternalEventHelper externalEventHelper)
   in Veeam.EndPoint.EndPointService.OnStart(String[] args)
   in System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
It's an italian language PC, and "impossibile avviare il servizio" means "cannot start service".

I have updated VAW to the latest version, then tried uninstalling and reinstalling, then tried setting the registry (https://www.veeam.com/kb2335) to recreate database, then uninstalling and reinstalling again, but the error persist.

I have also tried uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server 2012 LocalDB and then reinstalling VAW (so that also SQL gets reinstalled) but I still get the same error.

Is there a way to remove every part of the program and dependencies (MS SQL localDB, etc) and delete all of the databases and configs, and start from scratch?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam service closes after starting (SqlLocalDB instance 'VeeamEndPoint' was not found)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please take a look at this similar post that shows how everything can be cleaned out, should help!