Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
RMP14682481
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Volume Level Restore fail with LZ4 Bad CRC Message

Post by RMP14682481 »

Hi,

I'm new to the Veeam Forum but I'm not new to the free Veeam Backup Solution itself. But at the weekend I have had the first problem since use of this solution.

I began with Version 1.1.2.119 and use currently the Version 2.0.0.700 on a notebook with the following spezifications:

- Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.248
- One Systemdrive, 128 GB SSD
- One Data Drive, 1 TB
- Fresh Install of Veeam Backup 2.0.0.700
- The Notebook is new, so now formlery Version of Veeam was installed

Because of problems with my windows installation, I wasn't able to use the "Microsoft Photos" App I tried to recover my whole Notebook with Image and Bare Metal Recovery.

My Backup was saved on a external 3,5" 1 TB Hard Disk Drive.

Recovery of the Systemdrive (SSD) runs without any problems, while recovering the Data Drive (D:) Veeam provided me a failure message and stop recovering:

- Restoring Datenlager (D:) Error: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Bad crc (orignal ...
- Restore failed: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Bad crc (original crc: 36057e3d, c...

Ok, my belief in Veeam was shaken. Fortunately, I had a file copy of my hard drive so that there was no data loss.

I read the Veeam Forum and used the Tool "Victoria" to check the to whole hard disk. No errors was found.

So I deleted the old Backup and make a new one. After that, I did a restore of the new backup to a virtual machine. Everythink was fine.

But there was still a bad feeling.

So I unregisterd the 3,5" 1 TB Drive and connectet a new WD 2,5" 2 TB - External USB3 Hard Disk. Never used, original packaging, Quick Format of the Disk from my side.

Then I took a backup with Veeam 2.0.0.700 and made a test restore to a virtual machine again. It fails with the above mentioned error.

So at the moment my trust in the Veeam Backup Solution is completly gone ...

Have anyone an idea to solve my problem or can tell me a reason for this?

Thanks in advance, Jan

P.S.: I'm on a buisness trip until Thursday night, so my answere can be delayed ...

EDIT: Support - Case Number is 02644657.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Volume Level Restore fail with LZ4 Bad CRC Message

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jan.

Edit: Thanks for the case ID, we will review your debug logs.
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

This has happened to me as well.
Many people have been begging Veeam to implement a backup integrity check step that will open the backups and make sure they are usable...so far, nothing but crickets.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Carlton,

As a first step we made Health Check feature available for managed by backup server jobs (when agent is controlled by Veeam B&R server). Health check for standalone agents is planned.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

That is interesting....I could be wrong, but I believe I remember asking about that and was told that the health-check only worked for VMs that were backed up by VBR, not VAW backups done in VBR.

So to make sure I am clear, you are saying there is a way in VBR to verify backups from VAW (that were backed up into VBR) without having to restore them into a VM via the SureBackup?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, this feature is available in managed by backup server jobs.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

That is great news, thanks for pointing that out!