Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:13 pm 1 person likes this post

darkhelmet,

We are working to bring the complete BitLocker support in GA, however in the current BETA only bare metal restore is working properly. Thank you for the case ID, we will look into the errors you received.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 418 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mcafeej » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I would like to state that I have fully tested my backup & restore while using TrueCrypt 7.1a. Using TrueCrypt 7.2 is NOT a supported software for encrypting or creating new Encrypted File Systems, it can only decrypt now, Try to find TrueCrypt 7.1a as that will be what works.

The backup I made was after my partition was encrypted and not before. I was even able to restore my laptop backup files to a VM without any issues.
mcafeej
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

Veeam Logoby darkhelmet » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:26 pm

d.popov wrote:darkhelmet,
We are working to bring the complete BitLocker support in GA, however in the current BETA only bare metal restore is working properly. Thank you for the case ID, we will look into the errors you received.

thank you for the feedback
darkhelmet
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Great! Thank you for the heads up!
The backup I made was after my partition was encrypted and not before. I was even able to restore my laptop backup files to a VM without any issues.

If I am not mistaken, the TrueCrypted partition is a simple file, which resides on regular volume – so yes it backup/restore should be working fine. The only thing you cannot do for sure – is to run a file level recovery from the TrueCrypted volume.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jan1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi,
Is there any hope that VEB will run a file level recovery from the TrueCrypted volume ? In my company we use TC and it would be fine to have that possibility because backup all TC volume (when we need backup only one directory from TC volume)takes time, space etc.

Regards,
Jan
Jan1
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:44 am

Jan,

No plans for now. With current set of functionality you need to FLR the whole TrueCrypted volume file.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jan1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks for answer Dmitry,
You do grate job. But my TrueCrypt volume files sometimes take 1TB so unfortunately I have to find another backup program.
I think in such application (VEB) you have to implement some encrypt solution.
Truecrypt is good is good start point because it is safe, easy, free software.
Maybe I am TC "addicted".

Regards,
Jan
Jan1
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Jan,
Thank you for being honest. Just out of the curiosity have you considered switching from TrueCrypt to windows built-in Bitlocker? Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jan1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Dmitry,

As I remember to use Bitlocker you have to have Windows in Enetrpise or Ultimate version. Many small companies have version Professional sometimes even Home. From the same reason (price) they use TrueCrypt. Additional TrueCrypt is comfortable for me because I can open TC volume in windows and in linux. Sometimes I use TC to move backups, important data on portable disk.
I still try to use TC and VEB because I think it is good software.

I discovered that if you want to put backup TO TrueCrypt volume you have to create in TC volume directory and share it (in permission you have to add SYSTEM) in VEB you have to choose as a destination network location and set shared folder from TC volume.
I still can't do backup FROM TrueCrypt volume.
If you (or somebody) have any idea how to do it I will be grateful.

Jan
Jan1
Influencer

Veeam Logoby darkhelmet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 am

Windows 8 Professional also has the Bitlocker functionality, so not limited to Enterprise or Ultimate....
darkhelmet
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby jeancharles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 pm

To allow restoring files from the truecrypt partition you would need instant recovery and mount in truecrypt the container with the appropriate key selected.
Indeed Bitlocker is included in Professional version of Windows 8, Bitlocker to Go still requires Enterprise I think.
For bare metal recovery it would work as the TC container is a file that VEB has not to mess around with, at the worst you could launch a "portable truecrypt" to allow mounting the TC container.

I would definitely more work on Bitlocker and maintained products as Kaspersky or PGP, TC will eventually be taken over or fail.
jeancharles
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Veeam Logoby csarli » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Anybody tried VeraCrypt with VEPB? The on of the Truecrypt replacement. https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/
csarli
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Károly Pacséry

Veeam Logoby matyke » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:34 pm

I tried Veracrypt with file based volume, but it worked same as with Truecrypt.
Full backup worked fine, but incremental backups didn't backup file volume, mounted or dismouned.
matyke
Novice

Full Name: Martin Paulik

Veeam Logoby Jan1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Any ideas how to backup selected folder from mounted TC file volume or TC encrypted partition (non system) ? I still can't do it.
Jan1
Influencer

Veeam Logoby matyke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 am

I found how to backup TC file volume: on unmounted volume manually change date/time on file, then it will backed up once.
matyke
Novice

Full Name: Martin Paulik

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows