Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Veeam Logoby jeancharles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Maybe we should have it as a new feature request : pre/post tasks to backups, to automate dismounting/changing time of TC container, and after backup launched remount TC container.
jeancharles
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Veeam Logoby csarli » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:08 pm

csarli
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Károly Pacséry

Veeam Logoby Njumaen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 am 2 people like this post

Good News Everyone! :D

I managed to restore a Windows7 64-bit VM (Fusion) with a full encrypted TC 7.1a drive backed up with latest VEB with no problems at all!

File level restore works as well running the encrypted VM.

For sure, the patition is fully decrypted after bare metal restore! You should encrypt again. VEB feature request: password protected backups !

I'll try VeraCrypt https://veracrypt.codeplex.com (OSS successor of TC) and a physical machine next.

@veeam: VEB ist the best stuff since sliced bread!

Ralf.
Njumaen
Novice

Full Name: Ralf Neumann

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Ralf,
Thanks for sharing and yes, your feature request counted!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 433 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Njumaen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm 1 person likes this post

Update: Restore of a veracrypted disk (Win8.1x64, physical) to a blank disk worked as well! Don't forget to encrypt again! ;-)

Ralf.
Njumaen
Novice

Full Name: Ralf Neumann

[MERGED] Truecrypt container and file level backup

Veeam Logoby SJOHANS » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 pm

All my sensitive data is stored in a large Truecrypt container which has to be mounted after every system start. After mounting the container via Truecrypt, I can access my data via the assigned volume letter, so for the Windows 10 file system it appears as additional volume (e.g. d:\).
Now I want to define the files on the mounted container as backup target, but under Veeam Endpoint Backup (1.1.1.212), the mounted container does not appear in the volume list where I can define the backup targets.

Is there any possibility to backup the data on file level without backing up the entire container?
SJOHANS
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:51 pm

Hello,
Is there any possibility to backup the data on file level without backing up the entire container?

I believe it is possible only via volume level backup or via entire pc backup.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SJOHANS » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 am

volume level backup doesn´t work as well, because the volume (mounted truecrypt container) does not appear in the volume list (where I define the volumes which should be backed up).
SJOHANS
Novice

Veeam Logoby SaschaH » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi,

yes, iirc you can not backup from or even to a TC container - no matter how it's mounted. Backups from a encrypted system drive will work, though.
I'd really appreciate seeing that function in a future version! ;)

EDIT: please be aware that backups from an encrypted system disk will be decrypted during the backup!

Sascha
SaschaH
Influencer

Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Sascha Hoehne

RE: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello Sascha,

I finally found the discussions regarding the TrueCrypt volumes. Kindly, take a look and let me know if it helps. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby matrixrich » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:41 pm 1 person likes this post

I can confirm that file level restore w/ VEB works fine on my BitLocker encrypted drive. :)
matrixrich
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rich Frangiamore

Veeam Logoby Wondering » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:45 pm

After having tried Acronis and Paragon backup products I was excited to get to Veeam after I read a lot of good recommendations for it.
Unfortunately I cannot create a backup to my external USB hard drive, because it's encrypted with TrueCrypt. Although it's properly mounted and visible as a drive in the Explorer, it's not shown in Veeam as a target location and manually entering the path simply results in an error (Specify target folder). I have never come across a software that didn't recognize the mounted drive as a normal drive / folder location. Even your competitos showed this as a normal location. Also from a technical point of view I don't see any reason why the TARGET backup location may not be a mounted TrueCrypt drive. There seems to be some kind of check in your software that fails on that drive. This check needs to be adjusted, so backups can be created there as well.
Wondering

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi Wondering,

If you TrueCrypted device is properly mounted and unlocked, it should be visible. Please open a support case and let our team investigate it. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Wondering » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:35 am

You imply that there's a "unproper" way to mount a TC device. What would that be?
The mounted device shows up as a normal hard drive in the Explorer and is accessable through all applications except for Veeam.
Where do you want me to submit a support case? I saw a possibility through the application itself, but it'd send system data with it that I don't see the content of. For me this is a privacy no-go, I'm afraid. Nevertheless, I don't think this is a special problem for my case as it's a pretty basic setup. I'm sure this can easily be reproduced using the same command line to mount a test device:
Code: Select all
TrueCrypt.exe /q /a devices /lX /p "password"

Could you please create a support case for it or tell me another way to send it? On your website I only see "two paid support programs".
Wondering

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm

The only way to open a support case is thru the Control Panel, indeed. Yes, VEB debug logs are automatically assigned but that is the only information we need for troubleshooting purposes.

By the way, have you seen this workaround shared earlier in this thread?
... if you want to put backup TO TrueCrypt volume you have to create in TC volume directory and share it (in permission you have to add SYSTEM) in VEB you have to choose as a destination network location and set shared folder from TC volume...
Dima P.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows