Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Veeam Logoby csarli » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi!
I tested the file restore on a Truecrypted Win7 32bit laptop. Everything is went good (backup, restore) before the Truecrypt Encrypt System Partition install.
After this I can't restore individual files. Error msg. after importing backup: "No disks have been mounted. Either disks of this type aren't supported or some errors occured. See log file for details."
Strange if made bare metal restore looks like working while the Truecrypt is disappear.
Could I restore files from encrypted partition?
Backup is made by Entire computer.
csarli
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Károly Pacséry

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Károly,
I am sorry, but encrypted volumes are not supported.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby csarli » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:12 am

:( Is it working with file level backup?
I think intelligent people don't use laptop without encryption... How could your big boss use VEB on his laptop? :)
Could be this a feature request?
csarli
Influencer

Veeam Logoby csarli » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 pm

I tested, and the file level backup look like is working with Truecrypt.
csarli
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andy C » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 pm

The file restore doesn't work on a PC with PGP Whole Disk Encryption - "No disks have been mounted" error.
Andy C
Influencer

Full Name: Andrew Crumpton

Veeam Logoby csarli » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:52 pm

Andy C wrote:The file restore doesn't work on a PC with PGP Whole Disk Encryption - "No disks have been mounted" error.

How did you do the backup? Try it with File level and only check the Personal files at the objects.
csarli
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andy C » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I cant do a backup of just the personal files as it says there is nothing to backup.

I have completed a backup of the Personal files and the Local Disk C (which it automatically selects when you check the Personal Files option).

This backup completed but I still can't restore files from it with the same error.
Andy C
Influencer

Veeam Logoby csarli » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Did you deleted all previous backup before made the Personal files backup?
csarli
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andy C » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

I didn't, but how would previous backups affect a new File Level Backup?

Surely deleting the vbm, vbk and vib files would make no difference to the control panel as the backups would still be visible (yet not accessible) as the details are saved in the repository.

If i'm wrong then surely creating the File Level Backup in a new location would do the same job?

Thanks.
Andy C
Influencer

Veeam Logoby csarli » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:58 pm

I think yes. But as I realized If you move the backup folder content to a new folder name, VEB will find it and do normal incremental backup.
I think you need to start new full backup. The delete is sure. :)
csarli
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andy C » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 pm

I have deleted all past backups and completed a new File Level Backup to include just the Personal Files and C:\Users folders but still cant restore any files from the backup.

Also I have just performed a full backup on a PC with a True Crypt encrypted disk and the File Restore worked fine. Must be PGP.
Andy C
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:01 pm 1 person likes this post

Wanted to give a hand and test TrueCrypt from an end-user perspective, but it seems that the last version I downloaded (7.2) does not provide the ability to create encrypted volumes. Moreover it contains multiple warnings like this: WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues.

Also noticed a few pointers to the windows built in Bitlocker, which is by the way supported even in the current BETA. In the GA we will add additional care for all existing Bitlocker users for both backup and restore procedures. :wink:

So guys, I wonder, is using TrueCript still valid - maybe it is the right time to switch to the windows native tools?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andy C » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Dmitry,

As far as I am aware Truecrypt is still considered a secure method of encryption for now. The warning on the Truecrypt website is simply to notify us the developers have stopped supporting the software so any flaws found in the software in the future will not be resolved. The version 7.2 is just decryption software but you can still find 7.1 if you know where to look.

Having said this whilst I wouldn't recommend anyone to start decrypting every Truecrypt drive to start implementing another solution, for those yet to start or those that could easily replace a couple of Truecrypt drives, it is definitely worth exploring the alternatives.

I currently have a mix of PGP (now Symantec) and Truecrypt drives and have found whilst Truecrypt allows for file and volume restores PGP does not. I am currently testing Kaspersky Endpoint Encryption which I hope will replace both Truecrypt and PGP.
Andy C
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Andrew,

Great! Thank you for the heads up (now I know what version I need for the test :wink: )
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby darkhelmet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:41 pm

d.popov wrote:Wanted to give a hand and test TrueCrypt from an end-user perspective, but it seems that the last version I downloaded (7.2) does not provide the ability to create encrypted volumes. Moreover it contains multiple warnings like this: WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues.

Also noticed a few pointers to the windows built in Bitlocker, which is by the way supported even in the current BETA. In the GA we will add additional care for all existing Bitlocker users for both backup and restore procedures. :wink:

So guys, I wonder, is using TrueCript still valid - maybe it is the right time to switch to the windows native tools?

Today i filed a support case (00714654):
I made a backup of a Windows 8 Ent installation. Volumes were encrypted with Bitlocker. Was able to do a baremetal recovery without a problem. Did a restore from an incremental.

So the backup seems useable, but...

I tried to do a file level restore at a different Windows 8.1 Ent install, but from the same backups. Doesnt work 100%. The directory tree is visible, but lots of files are missing. Most dirs are empty. tried the full and incremental, but no luck.
Some directories do contain files, for example the Windows directory.
Also opening it from Windows Explorer gives the same result.

Support said Bitlocker isnt supported, but you say otherwise. Is it, or is it not?
darkhelmet
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows