Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
r-low
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Lowdon

Windows Agent backups to Veeam Repository

Post by r-low »

Hi,

I have a customer who's environment consists of both virtual and physical servers. They have a StoreOnce device that has been configured as a backup repository and it is accessed through a physical gateway server. The Veeam B&R Server doesn't have direct access to the repository so it connects to it through a physical proxy server that is acting as a gateway server. Veeam B&R is connected into a VCSA as well.

We have done a test backup of a few VMs in the environment and are able to save them to the StoreOnce device. When we try to backup some physical servers in the environment though, they are unable to see this repository. They can only see the default repository on the Veeam B&R Server.

I've checked the permissions on the repository that exists on the StoreOnce and it is set to "Everyone". Again, VMs can backup there but physical servers cannot. This is a new install of Veeam so they are running 9.5 U3 in their environment.

On a separate note, when we try to run a backup of the physical servers in the environment, we get an error message as well even trying to go to the default repository. The error isn't very descriptive either:

"Error: Managed session f4176461-a3b0-4209-ba8d-1180ed0e69ce has failed unexpectedly"

I'm interested to hear feedback on this. If you have any questions or need any additional info, please let me know.

Thanks,

R-Low
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Windows Agent backups to Veeam Repository

Post by Gostev »

Hi, agents do not currently support StoreOnce repository for direct backup as they don't carry Catalyst SDK. What you can do is backup to a regular repository, and then make a copy to StoreOnce repository (which is our reference architecture anyway). Thanks!
r-low
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Lowdon

Post by r-low »

Thanks for the response. Is the Catalyst SDK something that is being considered for a future release?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Ryan.

Yes it's in the list of demanded requests but I cant provide ETA. Thanks.