Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
horaceho
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Horace

windows VSS issue

Post by horaceho »

Hi all,

I am preparing to migrate our physical Server from old backup tools to Veeam Agents, We have a cluster server that had a huge volume include 26 shared cluster drive and a total of 40 TB storage needs to be backup. Now we using Data Protector for backup all volume and some time if the backup job was too many and VSS takes a long time (over 2 hrs,) then it will have start snapshot set failed. Now tools can handle by fallback to legacy filesystem backup. I need to prepare that they can safely migrate to Veeam and can positive for backup all volume.
do you guys have some experience about VSS shadow copy control can share more advice for me, thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: windows VSS issue

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I can tell you that there is no "fallback" to anything with the Veeam Agent. It always uses VSS

There is an article for cluster configuration www.veeam.com/kb2463 which describes many things.

The Veeam agent currently does not backup multiple volumes in parallel (that will be available in the next version).

So I can only recommend to "do a backup" and if any issues occur, please open a case at the Veeam support.

Best regards,
Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Hi HannesK,

thanks for your information, another solution we would like to try storage snapshot for backup, but we cannot find the solution to backup the snapshot and restore the files from the snapshot.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
well, not with the Veeam Agent for Windows as of today... Backup from Storage Snapshot only exists for VMware VM backup at Veeam.

Did you try the agent? Did you have any issues? If issues, do you have a case number for that?

Thanks,
Hannes
horaceho
Influencer

Post by horaceho »

Hi Hannes,

it does not issue this time, but cause we have a large (the largest had 4 TB) and so much volume( 24 units) on our windows agent and most of them are using over 90% of the volumes. so we want to take a quick backup and not impact so much to the agent. so we asking some solutions for backup this servers.