Windows7 freeze during Endpoint volume backup

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Windows7 freeze during Endpoint volume backup

Veeam Logoby jlcarton » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm

List of applications send to Dima P. as requested.
jlcarton
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks! I've just forwared the list to QA team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Hello jlcarton,

Here are the suggestions from the QA team:

1. Third party antivirus may cause this behavior. In order to check it please disable or uninstall antivirus for the testing purposes and try to reproduce the issue.
2. Try to change the backup repository, for example to USB stick or USB drive. Even with the lack of free space the backup should fail with the low free space error without freezing your PC.
3. Speaking of the bad blocks – the described behavior may be a result of the bad blocks being detected on the repository. You can run a block check by any third party utility like hddscan or other.

Let me know the results. Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby BirchMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:31 pm

I was running in to what seems like the same issue as described earlier. The whole PC was end up locking up. Initially it seemed fine, the Veeam backup was running and most already running windows where responding but then when I tried to access things that required UAC approval or start other programs or bring up the task manager the computer just locked up. I couldn't shutdown or even do a command line force shutdown. This was happening with a few PCs I was looking after but not all of the PC's that where using Veeam endpoint. Most of the PC's using Veeam Backup where working just fine with the few exceptions.
After fiddling a number of things I found that disabling AVG was the ticket for at least one of the problems I ran into. I'm trying to find out what exceptions will allow Veeam to work with AVG. I noticed that it seem to fail trying to get a VSS snapshot of the PC on using 127.0.0.1:9395 and from that point on the error logs show failures. If I can figure out what exceptions work I'll post them here.
BirchMan
Lurker

Full Name: Matthew Birch

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for your help. You are using the AVG Technologies antivirus, right? Do you know is there a way to whitelist the windows VSS service?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby BirchMan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks for your reply Dima. Yes I am using AVG for my AV. No I didn't know your could whitelist VSS. Please let me know I'd like to try.
I have added the following exceptions as per https://www.veeam.com/kb2034.
Add the following folders to the antivirus exclusions list:

installation folder, the default path is: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup
localDB folder: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile
logs folder: C:\ProgramData\Veeam
the folders containing your backup files.

Those exceptions seemed to help some situations. However there are a number of PCs that there seems to be a bigger issue and It looks like it could be related to a sql database issue causing the Veeam service to crash. I'm open to suggestions. This all happened AVG started removing pieces of Veeam when it picked it up as a virus back around Nov-Dec 2015. Also is there a way to manually remove veeams files, registry settings, the veeam sql database that veeam installs, and the SQL services that veeam installs? The Veeam uninstall still leaves the sql database\services and it's potential issues behind. Really trying to start fresh again.
BirchMan
Lurker

Full Name: Matthew Birch

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows