Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ThomasR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Re

WSUS Synchronization failing after recovering VM

Post by ThomasR »

I have Hyper-V running on a Server 2012, in Hyper-V I have one VM running Server 2012 R2 with WSUS.
On the Server 2012 I have Veeam Agent for Windows 2.2.0.589 Free installed - it does a full server backup everyday.
After a failed Update I had to recover the WSUS VM, I did this by replacing the vhdx and the Virtual Machine files. Everything worked fine, but now the WSUS Server cant synch with Microsoft Update Servers anymore. It is spitting out a lot of different errors - apparently the database is corrupt.
This shouldnt be happening especially with VSS though? If something happens to my domain controller and I have similiar problems when trying to restore, thats going to be a huge problem.. Does anyone know what could have caused this?
ThomasR
Influencer

Re: WSUS Synchronization failing after recovering VM

Post by ThomasR »

So I ran sfc /scannow and the WSUS Cleanup tool, after that the synchronization worked. It still worries me that things like this happen especially when I have to recover the Active directory server in the future..
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thomas.

To be honest I am not aware of any issues related to WSUS recovery. However, I do see that you are using Free edition that does not have application aware processing feature with it (so there is no additional care for db backup as well as metadata collection for automated restore). I'd recommend you to use (or at least try the trial version) of Veeam Agent for Windows Server edition. That said, the best way to protect Hyper-V server is via Veeam B&R.
ThomasR
Influencer

Post by ThomasR »

Hi,
Can you please go into more detail about application aware backup? What do you mean with additional care and meta data collection?
I'm using Veeam for a very small German non profit and I'm pretty sure they don't want to pay 110€ per year that's my problem.
It's a very small infrastructure with only oneohysical server and one VM.
I hope you understand my situation