Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
gothaggis
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Geoff

best filesystem for encrypted (dm-crypt) 60TB data?

Post by gothaggis »

Currently using Veeam Agent for Linux and BTRFS with success (CentOS 7, had to upgrade to Kernel 5.1 to get the agent and btrfs support working). I like the snapshot support of btrfs - however long story short, I am planning to move this data to a 2nd RAID 10 array that will be encrypted with dm-crypt w/ LUKS. I see that the agent does not support btrfs with encryption so right now thinking of just going with XFS. Does the agent support dm-crypt when using XFS? Should I expect the same backup speed with the agent as BTRFS? The other thing I liked about btrfs and the agent was the ability to have different jobs for different subvolumes. The drives are using hardware raid, but I guess I could use LVM to have multiple xfs mount points if I want to keep my job settings similar to what I have setup with btrfs subvolumes.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: best filesystem for encrypted (dm-crypt) 60TB data?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, XFS is supported on dm-crypt (I'll ask documentation team whether they can write it a little bit clearer).

I expect same backup speed. Feedback from you would also be interesting ;-)

yes, you can have multiple jobs for different volumes.

Best regards,
Hannes