Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
sgh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Help Desk

Re: Installation on Raspberry (ARMHF) CPU

Post by sgh »

+1 vote for Veeam Agent for ARM (Raspberry, as example).

we also have a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)
lexusnn
Lurker
Full Name: Alexey

Post by lexusnn »

1 vote for Veeam Agent for ARM

Orange pi pc plus
CatSpirent
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Caterine Kieffer

Post by CatSpirent »

I will add my vote.
We develop a product on an arm based processor.
It would be nice to have an easy backup of the developer's files vs the setup they created.
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Post by tehinternet »

I came across this thread because I was doing a quick search for 'veeam linux agent on raspberry pi' before trying it. We have some pi's at work(where we are using Veeam) for various things. We have a business customer with like ~30 Raspberry pi's of theirs on site. I also have 2 at home running various home automation things.

I guess this is my vote for please support the linux agent on arm, at least for raspberry pis.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What kind of backup/restore do you expect? Just files or something else? Would you describe the desired workflow, please?

For instance:

1. I push the Agents via SSH onto all RPi'es the same way as VBR does today.
2. I order the Agents to grab all files from "/etc", "/sensors_data", "/lib/modules" in a recursive manner (crash-consistent file-level backup)
3. When one of the RPi'es dies, I replace its dead SDcard (HDD?) with a new one which contains the OS in a mint condition and upload only data, config files, and modules onto the revived RPi, then reboot.
We have some pi's at work(where we are using Veeam) for various things.
Would be interesting to hear about the applications.

Thanks!
steamrick
Novice

Post by steamrick »

It's been a while since the thread saw some love, but I'd also like to echo the desire for a Veeam Agent that's ARM compatible.

My usecase - I run proxmox on a Pi 4 8GB (pimox) and I'd like a simple and more comprehensive backup than what proxmox offers. Proxmox backup will backup VMs and LXCs, but that doesn't save the images, templates, configuration and such that I've set up on the host. I'd love for Veeam to be able to pick up the slack because I already user B&R (community edition) for my homelab.
vidmanvidcams
Lurker

Post by vidmanvidcams »

+1 on ARM.

Would love to use this for UniFi Protect backups. Ubiquiti NVRs run on ARM. I know Ubiquiti wouldn't support this but I see no reason it wouldn't work as long as the client doesn't consume too many resources.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

@Gruncho,

Tell me more, please. Those RPis, do they keep any production data on a local storage that needs to be backed up, or they just keep configs for some stateless apps?
When you say 'restore the service', are you referring to simply reviving some dead RPis, or you want to restore the actual production data that is kept on RPis as well? If the latter, then please describe where the data is stored and how is it accessed by RPis.

Thanks!
garypigott
Service Provider
Full Name: Gary Pigott

Post by garypigott »

I don't need backup agent support, but it would be nice to be able to use them as proxies. I use PI Zero 2s as jump boxes. Each one runs a VPN client that links them all together. It would be really useful to run a Veeam Data Mover service on them to allow backup copies to NAS units in remote sites.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What amount of traffic do you anticipate to pump via that connection? I mean, are we talking about couple of hundreds of megabytes daily, or rather couple of gigs? How many tasks in parallel?

I am asking to better understand the use case. Anyway, right now Pi Zero 2 simply does not meet system requirements (talking about RAM).

Thanks!
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer
Full Name: Michael McKenney

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

I am looking at a Raspberry Pi cluster using a Turing Pi 2 or DeskPi Super6C Raspberry Pi CM4 board. Turing Pi has 4 Compute 4 modules. Super6C has 6 Raspberry Pi Compute 4 modules. I can put SSD USB3 or M.2 SSD drives on them. I will configuring them with Raspberry Pi 64-bit OS and Ansible along with other clustering software for hardware and storage. Size and speed does not really matter. I would like to use VEEAM to backup the Raspberry Pi 64-bit ARM OS and clustered data. More corporations are moving to ARM processing for prototyping and other engineering projects.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

That is, you want not just file-level backup to back up your data, but also some means of BMR for your RPis?

Thanks!
Cangoou
Novice
Full Name: Martin Thoma

Post by Cangoou »

+1 for a BMR-solution.
bird8
Lurker
Full Name: Anthony Vangaard

[MERGED] Veeam Agent Linux Free - ARM support?

Post by bird8 »

Hello,

are there plans to provide Veeam Agent Linux FREE for ARM plattform? The arm cpu architecture is widely deployed in data centers around the globle. I'm not talking Raspberry Pi or similar, but actual server infrastructure.

- bird8
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
please use existing threads (forum search) when asking for features to keep the forums readable.

As you ask for the free agent and Veeam pays my bills... are the people who widely deploy ARM around the globe also willing to pay for a backup solution? :-)

To answer your question: there are no short term plans to support ARM for Veeam Agent for Linux.

Question: which feature set is needed for your use-case? File-level backup? Block level backup? Bare metal restore? Can you provide more information about your use-case?

Best regards,
Hannes
kiwab88786
Lurker
Full Name: kiwab

Post by kiwab88786 »

Yet Commvault supports it...

https://documentation.commvault.com/202 ... vices.html

You get what you paid for I guess
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

We don't like to spread our R&D resources too thin, especially when there's no decent revenue opportunity.
fojtp
Service Provider
Full Name: Pavel Fojt

Post by fojtp »

There may be future revenue that you are not currently seeing.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi @fojtp,

Let's discuss in more details.

For instance, how many Raspberries (and similar devices) do you think you and/or your clients might want to back up?
What are the intended backup and restore modes? Simple file-level backup, bare-metal restore, something else?
The backup scope - how large it can get (hundreds of megabytes/gigabytes/terabytes)?
Any specific applications running on ARM that require protection as well?

Thanks!
virtiso
Lurker
Full Name: Michel van Osenbruggen

Post by virtiso »

+1 Vote for RPI Linux/ARM64 support. We have 40 RPI's in our network and also a lot in customers network. Still looking for a good way to backup them. Linux Agent would be great even if it would be files only. Don't even need bare metal restore.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michel,

Mind me asking what apps you run on those 40 RPIs, some sensors or control planes for your sensors? Thank you!
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer
Full Name: Michael McKenney

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

We have been asking for years for a Raspberry Pi Agent. Your post might be very helpful.
imspyguy
Lurker
Full Name: John Duane Bond

Post by imspyguy »

Was very excited to come across your software, then found, that it does not have an rpi agent. Add one more vote to the pile please. The product is good. I've used Backup exec, and others for many years, this is comparable. Raspberry pi has become an industry standard use (with the rpi5 just released). Can someone consolidate the backup software to include raspberry pi, please?

Thanks, great product,

my .02

John Bond
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi John, what do your run on your Pis and how many do you have in total that need to be backed up?
jirkava
Novice
Full Name: Jiri Vana

Post by jirkava »

I use RPi for IoT data collection, automation, alerting and reporting. Influxdb, grafana, mosquito MQTT broker, Node-red, all in docker. RPi OS boot from USB SSD and in the future from M.2 NVME. I need a fast image base restore.

Jirka
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thank you. To clarify, is this a production infrastructure of a commercial company, or rather home/hobby stuff?
virtiso
Lurker
Full Name: Michel van Osenbruggen

Post by virtiso »

Dima P. wrote: Dec 04, 2023 9:06 am Hello Michel,

Mind me asking what apps you run on those 40 RPIs, some sensors or control planes for your sensors? Thank you!
Those are Addressable Led Controllers and Audio and Video Processors for Ambilight purposes. And we will have LOTS more out in the field the coming years. And to also answer you last question. Yes this is a professional application and not some hobby project. It is our core business. Veeam must be aware by now that the ARM platform is going to become very big in commercial applications because of small form factor en low power usage?

Michel
VladOst
Novice
Full Name: Владимир Григорьевич Остапченко

Post by VladOst »

I'm not sure if I chose the right forum thread, because my question does not directly concern Raspberry, but, nevertheless, it concerns the ARM architecture.
I am using a virtual machine from one of the hosters using LXD technology with the Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS operating system installed. When I try to install the only one available package for this OS, "veeam-release-deb_1.0.8_amd64.deb", I get the error:
root@media:~# dpkg -i veeam-release-deb_1.0.8_amd64.deb
dpkg: error processing archive veeam-release-deb_1.0.8_amd64.deb (--install):
package architecture (amd64) does not match system (arm64)
Errors were encountered while processing:
veeam-release-deb_1.0.8_amd64.deb
I also give my vote for the ability to restore the state of the LXD virtual machine, especially since this technology is gaining great momentum among hosters.
Naturally, I would like to have a complete recovery of the entire virtual machine, and not just individual files. Ideally, with the ability to restore the backup copy created by LXD to a different type of virtual machine, say, KVM.