Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
crond
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dmitry Becha

Is the a KB for changing the source FQDN ?

Post by crond »

Hi

I have a VBR server managed job to backup Linux machine with VAL (BTRFS / Volume level backup).
The FQDN of Linux machine (source) has changed, what is a process for updating the job on VBR side in a way to keep the backup chain going ?

I looked through VAL documentation but I can't find something relevant. There's an instruction how to reconnect jobs in case VBR server name change but I can't find the other way around (source name change). Link to relevant KB would be highly appreciated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Is the a KB for changing the source FQDN ?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I just tried it out with one machine in a "managed by server" job. The machine was added manually to the job. So I removed the machine from the job and added it with the new DNS name. Then the job fails because of an SSH fingerprint trust issue. Once the machine is trusted again + rescan (inventory -> physical infrastructure...) the job continued the backup chain. "map backup" to a new job is also possible.

Best regards,
Hannes
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

Hi Hannes,

I tried to follow theses steps and while it did pickup the same chain, it looks like VAL transfers data for entire volume.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

hmm, do you have a case number for that? I did not see that.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Side question - what's the reason to change FQDN without changing the actual role of the machine? I mean, since you want to continue the chain, I guess the data stays the same, hence the role of the machine also stays.

Thanks!
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

HannesK wrote: Mar 14, 2022 8:54 am hmm, do you have a case number for that? I did not see that.
Apologies for a delay with reply - got busy on other projects.
I didn't submit a report for that issues (not picking up a the chain). Figured it will be easier to add a box with local storage as a short term solution.
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

PTide wrote: Mar 15, 2022 11:19 pm Hi,

Side question - what's the reason to change FQDN without changing the actual role of the machine? I mean, since you want to continue the chain, I guess the data stays the same, hence the role of the machine also stays.

Thanks!
Machine was moved to a different location/network.