Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
aj_potc
Expert
Liked: 19 times

Re: Rocky Linux now GA. Veeam support ??? (also AlmaLinux)

Post by aj_potc » 1 person likes this post

Why can't you use Veeam?

I've moved most of my servers to Rocky, and Veeam is still running fine on those, even if that particular flavor is not officially listed as a supported OS.

I hope that Veeam will announce support at some point. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of waiting -- just like all CentOS 8 users.

PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 680 times

Post by PTide »

@aj_potc,

Just curious, why did you pick Rocky over Alma?

I read that Rocky and Alma are essentially the same thing, with the only difference that one updates slightly faster and is a community effort, whereas the other is technically owned by non-profit entity and delivers updates not as fast (reportedly).

Thanks!

aj_potc
Expert

Post by aj_potc »

I chose Rocky because it was started by one of the people involved in the original CentOS. I was around when CentOS was launched and remember how important it was for the community of Red Hat users, so I feel like a similar effort (for the second time) has a reasonable chance of succeeding.

I haven't experienced any delays in updates that I would call notable. However, I recall that CentOS sometimes did have a very long lag following certain RHEL updates, so they weren't exactly the golden standard on that.

I also can't claim to see much difference in the community aspect. I have approached the Rocky community a few times and found a lot of help and support. It was trivially easy to get into contact with very senior people on the project, and I found that really refreshing.

aj_potc
Expert

Post by aj_potc »

I should also mention that it's quite easy to move between Rocky and Alma, so if I were forced to switch, I'm not concerned that it would be a big deal. This is another reason that I don't worry SO much about which particular distro I'm using.

The most important point is the one you mentioned: they're essentially the same thing.

Asahi
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

Post by Asahi »

Hi !

Recently, we have heard many people wanting to back up Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux on their physical machines. :D
It would be great if support is added in a future release of Veeam.

Thanks in advance! :D
Asahi

efik123
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Efi Kaufman

Post by efik123 »

aj_potc wrote: Jan 31, 2022 1:25 am Why can't you use Veeam?

I've moved most of my servers to Rocky, and Veeam is still running fine on those, even if that particular flavor is not officially listed as a supported OS.

I hope that Veeam will announce support at some point. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of waiting -- just like all CentOS 8 users.
@aj_potc, can you please elaborate on how did you install the Veeam linux agent on rocky ?
when I tried to push it from the app it says that rocky is not supported.

Thanks in advance !

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 2202 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I remember myself changing the /etc/os-release file on a different RHEL-compatible distribution to something supported. Then the agent installs.

Best regards,
Hannes

aj_potc
Expert

Post by aj_potc »

Sure!

You can install it (and keep it updated) by adding Veeam's repo to your yum configuration.

Just follow these steps:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

The first step (where you download and install veeam-release) is the part that enables the repo. From there, you use yum to install the Veeam agent as listed in the setup steps.

Even though this is the way you would normally install a standalone agent, it works perfectly well as a managed agent, too. You just can't use the VBR to update or install the agent on new machines. However, if you use yum to keep your systems up to date, then the Veeam agent will be updated automatically along with other packages in your repos.

d3nz
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times

Post by d3nz »

+1 for Rocky Linux support by Veeam

jstopinsek
Lurker
Full Name: Jernej Stopinšek

Post by jstopinsek »

Hi!

It would be nice if Rocky Linux was officially supported by Veeam in a future release.
More and more servers are on Rocky Linux each day...

Thanks in advance!

Thomas.T
Lurker
Full Name: Thomas

Post by Thomas.T »

Hi,

it would be important that Rocky Linux is supported!

We are gradually migrating all servers from CentOS to Rocky Linux.

Thanks in advance!

fajfel
Service Provider
Full Name: Grzegorz Skupin

Post by fajfel »

villapla wrote: Dec 09, 2021 8:54 am We are currently migrating our CentOS 8 servers to AlmaLinux, so we would like to see AlmaLinux as a supported OS for our Veeam infrastructure (Proxy Servers and Repository Servers ---including XFS reflink support---).

We have delayed the migration of our Proxy and Repository servers, but it would be nice to know the Veeam support road-map for RHEL 8 clones as CentOS 8 is about to reach its EOL.
+1
We are using CentOS 7 but according to EOL we would like to plan on which distro we should switch (Alma / Rocky Linux).

Best Regards,
Grzegorz Skupin
Veeam VMCE #VEEAM1481285122570
Veeam VMCA

Ctek
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by Ctek »

Vouching for Rocky as well, we are replacing our CentOSes with Rocky.