Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Mathieu14
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Veeam Agent for Android

Post by Mathieu14 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Is there any solution ? Are there any plans for this ? Or is already on the roadmap ?

Kinds regards,
Mathieu
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Veeam Agent for Android

Post by Gostev »

Hello Mathieu, currently there are no plans. Thanks!
Mathieu14
Novice

Post by Mathieu14 »

Ok, Thank you for your answer !
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

@Mathieu14,

What's your use case? Files/apps/both?

Thanks!
Mathieu14
Novice

Post by Mathieu14 »

@PTide

Files but if I can both because I would like to save phone and SD CARD.
lenormf
Novice
Liked: 5 times

[MERGED] Android package

Post by lenormf » 3 people like this post

Hi,

Following up on already existing topics: I own multiple devices that run Android. I would like to back up personal data from them.

I believe I could set up an NFS share on each of them, using Termux, and VBR and associated NAS Backup Job would be none the wiser.

But it'd be really nice if I could install VAL (using Termux), and set things up directly from the devices, in standalone mode. Is any score count being kept, on that front?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Same question for you as above: what would be the use-case?

Best regards,
Hannes
lenormf
Novice

Post by lenormf » 1 person likes this post

Hi HannesK,

My use-case is backing up media (photos, videos) and arbitrary files (mostly PDF, downloaded from email) that are stored on my devices and never make it out to my laptop/desktop.

I currently have a flimsy setup based on Git and RSync, and I could really benefit from the short-term retention as well as OO FLR, in case I lose all my files (as has happened already).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

lenormf wrote: Nov 17, 2022 1:04 pmMy use-case is backing up media (photos, videos) and arbitrary files (mostly PDF, downloaded from email) that are stored on my devices and never make it out to my laptop/desktop.
Hmm... what about automated sync to OneDrive or Google Drive? This is what I've been doing, very happy indeed specifically because this makes documents and pictures from the phone instantly available on my deskop and laptop. I really don't feel like I personally am missing anything with this current solution.
lenormf
Novice

Post by lenormf » 1 person likes this post

Hi Anton,

Sure, there are alternatives to back up the data, such as cloud storage solutions. I don’t like those because I’m not sure what rights to my data I sign off once it’s been uploaded there (e.g. Google Photos will run facial analysis on the pictures uploaded to the platform), so I avoid those.

I also like the idea of not having to be connected to the internet to back up my data.

The latest Android upgrade zeroed out many of my files for no good reason, so versioning (= retention) is important to me as well, not sure if that's properly implemented on cloud storage.

And as an extension of having Android support, being able to back up my apps on an old phone, and Application-Item restoring them on a new one sounds sweet! (although it could also be done using some Google app, I assume?). I know a couple of people who own a work/corporate smartphone, some of them with security settings that prevent them from using any public cloud app, so Veeam’s restore capabilities could be interesting to them and their employer. Maybe in the same way some customers use Instant Recovery to migrate virtual machines across hypervisor hosts.