Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
vaeem
Novice
Liked: never

Can't boot recovery iso on a "Bay Trail-T” CPU

Post by vaeem »

It looks like that a patched iso created on a linux machine with debian 9 and a Intel Atom Z3735F "Bay Trail-T” is not bootable on the device.

I guess it's due the fact that this processor uses a 32 bit efi implementation beside having a 64 bit cpu.

I added a bootia32.efi to the second partition in the EFI/boot/ folder and actually the stick is then booted. Problem is that it just stucks in a grub console without any entries. I guess their needs to be a minor modification in the creation of the recovery boot image to have it supporting these 32-64bit combos.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Can't boot recovery iso on a "Bay Trail-T” CPU

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
your guess might be correct - to confirm, please contact support and post the case number here for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
vaeem
Novice

Post by vaeem »

I'm not a robot!

In case the case 03883562 get's updated
vaeem
Novice

Post by vaeem »

Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.
:cry:
vaeem
Novice

Post by vaeem »

So for me it looks like that backups on bay trail cpu's are possible but their is simply no way to restore it (I tried on two different systems now).

Any thoughts on this? Maybe a good thing at least would be to up date the docs accordingly and ada a warning for users who think they are save but never tried the recovery.

Or maybe find time to fix the 32/64 boot issue which is already addressed by all major linux distributions afaik. For example the debian images support it since 2013 are called multi-arch (https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... ch/iso-cd/).

I don't know on which *nix base the recovery iso from veeam is based on, if some one could tell it would make it easier to find the right path.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

There is a workaround that you might want to use:

1. grab any liveCD that runs on your hardware, and install VAL onto that liveCD (it's OK to break dependencies and skip veeamsnap installation)
2. after you are done with the installation you need to go to /etc/veeam/veeam.ini and set "enableOnLiveSystem=1" and restart veeamservice
3. run "veeamconfig ui" to get into recovery interface.

Thanks
vaeem
Novice

Post by vaeem »

Thank's @PTide for this workaround. I can't try it out right now but will report back once I did it (will be just next year...)

I did a little bit more research and found a list of totally 46 bay trail cpu's which are probably affected: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... trail.html

Also I think the cherry trail cpu's could suffer from the unbootable veeam recovery system (not confirmed yet):
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... trail.html