Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ThierryF
Expert
Liked: 33 times

Questions about Solaris agent backups and VBR

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,

I am evaluating Veeam module for Solaris. I am quite surprised about vbr integration ...
As far as I understand, on each solaris server, you have to connect to your vbr server
then, from each solaris server, you have to create job to backup the server...

So, no central point for creating/managing/restarting/checking backups from vbr console ?
Not possible to create a job from console with multiple servers a time ?
In case of a dead solaris server, how can I recover it's backups to an alternate solaris server ?
Any baremetal restore ? or do I first have to reinstall os, prepare storage and then,
filesystem by filestystem, mount veeam backup and copy recursively to original location ?
Does it support ZFS pools/filesystems or just UFS ?

I have a 8TB solaris file server storing Oracle backup files and archives from different Oracle servers.
Actually, as soon as a backup or archive transfer job is complete to the repository, I have a script that launch backup to tape.
As multiple db backups are stored, I am dumping to tape at folder level to ensure data coherency,
I am testing to migrate my workloads from Networler to Veeam. As far as I can see, I need to create a job,
one per folder to backup.

Excepted checking on each connected solaris agent, any way to grab backup status
from vbr console ? Any email notifications like in VBR ?

Actually, all of my VBR vmware backups are put to tape thru a copy job.
What about Veeam for Solaris backups sharing same repositories ? Will they be also put
to tape also ? or does they only share same location without being aware of the other ?
I did not find lot of info for tape copies in the doc neither ...

Does the Veeam for Solaris just share same veeam vbr repositories without any other
integration ?

Thanks !

TH
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Questions about Solaris agent backups and VBR

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello,
your understanding is mostly correct. I just cover those topics where additional information can help.
I have a 8TB solaris file server storing Oracle backup files and archives from different Oracle servers.
I would simplify if possible: dump all the backups directly via SMB / NFS to a Veeam repository. And then use file-to-tape. I assume, that the dumps are large and not many files.
In case of a dead Solaris server, how can I recover it's backups to an alternate Solaris server ?
1) install the agent on the alternative server
2) connect to VBR
3) follow the restore procedure: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
or do I first have to reinstall os, prepare storage and then,
filesystem by filestystem, mount veeam backup and copy recursively to original location ?
correct
Does it support ZFS pools/filesystems or just UFS ?
Everything is supported. We do file based backup. Please see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

from vbr console ? Any email notifications like in VBR ?
both is available, yes. You can see the status in VBR console and VBR is sending the emails.
What about Veeam for Solaris backups sharing same repositories ? Will they be also put
to tape also ?
sure, if you configure it like that :-)
I did not find lot of info for tape copies in the doc neither ...
it's the same like bringing Windows or Linux backups to tape: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Does the Veeam for Solaris just share same veeam vbr repositories without any other integration ?
which "other" are you missing?

I hope I covered everything.

And yes, we are planning improvements. Maybe you can remember times, when we had almost the same situation for Windows and Linux agents.

Best regards,
Hannes
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF »

Thanks for your very detailed reply !

About missing integration, I mean managing backup jobs from vbr console, not from client side for eg.
Or about adding solaris client from manually added physical node...

I will continue testing module.

Cheers

TH
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

ah okay... I thought you were asking about VeeamONE integrations or something like that.
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,

By the way, do you have a link/info about port that must be opened at Firewall ?
Is it the same for Windows Agents ?

Thanks

TH
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi @ThierryF,

we have the "Used ports" description in Helpcenter for each agent.
For Oracle Solaris it's here.

Thanks!
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF »

Thanks, missed it from the doc ... :-D