Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
MyKey0815
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael Kolowicz

[BETA2] Restore a Entire machine (LVW)

Post by MyKey0815 »

I have create a Full-Backup of an entire machine. Now I want to restore it to a new disk (I will test the worst case, if a HD is brocken and a new one should use).

I start with the restore-ISO (per PXE booted) and can only choose beetwen Volumes and Files - So a choose volumes and start to restore SDA. But the LVM cannot restored.

What is the suggest way to solve this scenario?

Thanks for you help

BTW: UCS and Veeam now works perfect together - no probs to install and configure it today
MyKey0815
Enthusiast

[Solved] [BETA2] Restore a Entire machine (LVW)

Post by MyKey0815 »

I found a similar question about LVM and Restore here in the forum. The way is following:

Make a Entiry machine backup

To Restore chose the sda on the LEFT side and select restore - then the strcuture of the sda will recreate.
After that i can restore all needed volumens (sda1, root (lvm) and swap (lvm))

Please confirm that is the right way ;-)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: [BETA2] Restore a Entire machine (LVW)

Post by PTide »

Hi,

That will work only if you restore to the same HDD because there is usually an old LVM schema left on a harddrive. For fresh disks in BETA2 you have to create a volume group with the same name manually and restore LVs into it one by one. Automatic LVM restores are in the scope of planned improvements.

Thanks
MyKey0815
Enthusiast

Post by MyKey0815 » 1 person likes this post

It works fine

I have create a UCS-Server on a 500GB harddisk - Then I change to a new Harddisk (1TB) and make a restore - start the server - Works fine!!!!!

Thank you for this cool software!!!!

Is that real, that it be free for everytime?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Is that real, that it be free for everytime?
There will be different versions of VAL, including the FREE version. FREE version will be somewhat limited in its functions in comparison to others, however it will still allow you to do exactly what you just did with Beta2.

Thanks