Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

VA for AIX directory excludes and limits

Post by philfreund »

Is there any limit on the number of directory names that can be included in the --excludedirs parameter of a job? On one database server I might have as many as 100 directories to exclude so I can backup everything except the database filesystems in a single job. Most of the database filesystems use mount points one level below a single high level directory. Does the excludedir processing care if there are filesystem mount points below an excluded directory? If not, then I may only need 4 or 5 entries to exclude all of the database filesystems instead of about 100 entries.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VA for AIX directory excludes and limits

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as always in live, there is a limit somewhere... so the main question is, whether you saw any issues by excluding 100 directories (if problems, which case number?). At least for me it's working fine with 100 excludes

For the mountpoint question: I did not understand it. Do you maybe have an example what you mean with "care"?

Veeam Agent for AIX is doing file based backup. So it just copies the files it can see in a directory.

Best regards,
Hannes
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Re: VA for AIX directory excludes and limits

Post by philfreund » 1 person likes this post

The question about the limit was preemptive. I don't actually "want" to have a list of 100 or more excluded directories, I just wanted to know if the software would support it. You answered that question above:
At least for me it's working fine with 100 excludes
As to the mountpoint question, I have used software in the past where exclude logic stopped working when the software hit a mounted filesystem in a directory tree that was being processed. If the agent is sensitive to processing mounted filesystems that are in a lower level of a directory tree that is being excluded, that means an exclude list would have to include all of those mounted filesystems instead of just using one exclude at the top level of the tree. In my case, that could mean 80 or more individual exclude entries which would not be fun to maintain!

It looks like I had also asked that same question in another posting veeam-agents-for-linux-unix-f41/best-pr ... 69982.html where PTide indicated that the exclude logic is not sensitive to mounted file systems. Sorry for the duplicate question.