Agentless, cloud-native backup for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DavidAno
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: David Ano

Backup EC2 to On-Prem Repository

Post by DavidAno »

Hello Everyone,

We have both an On-Premise infrastructure and AWS infrastructure, they are connected using a VPC (IPSec) Tunnel. I backup some of our EC2 instances to our On-Prem Veeam repository using the Agent backups. It's slow, but it works for the small number of VMs that we have.

Some of our AWS EC2 instances are public facing web servers and traffic between the On-Prem network and AWS VPC network is blocked for security purposes. I would like to be able to back these instances up to our On-Prem repository, but I can't use Agent based backups because the Web servers can not reach the Veeam Backup & Recovery server or Repository.

I am trying to setup a helper in AWS that can backup the EC2 volumes directly. I successfully deployed an AWS Backup Appliance and can see it in my On-Prem Veeam Backup and Replication console. I was able to access the Veeam Backup for AWS appliance but could not select my on-premise repository as the Target. I went ahead and configured backups to an S3 bucket.

The AWS backups now show in the Veeam Backup and Recovery console in an External Repository, but I have no ability to copy them to my On-Prem Repository.

- When I right click on the backups in the External Repository all of the options are blanked out
- When I try to setup a Backup Copy job the External Repository does not show as a source
- I tried to manually add the S3 Repository directly in the VBR Console, but it says it already exists and can't be added

Is it even possible to back up AWS EC2 instances to a local repository without using Agent based backups (weather direct to local, or via a copy job)? If so what is the best design for this to work?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1187 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backup EC2 to On-Prem Repository

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,

Backup copies are supported for backups made by Veeam Backup for AWS in a bucket as described in our User Guide. You should create a backup copy job and select "Backups" as the source under the Objects (Select Workloads) part.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
DavidAno
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: David Ano

Re: Backup EC2 to On-Prem Repository

Post by DavidAno »

Thanks for posting the guide, after reading it carefully I noticed the following call-out.

Note: You can use From backups source only if you have an external repository added to the backup infrastructure and have at least one backup file stored in it.

The AWS repository was already showing from the "Home" screen, but not in "Backup Infrastructure". I had already tried adding as a regular repository, but not as an external repository. Once I added the AWS repo as an external repo under backup infrastructure, it unlocked all of the backup copy options that I needed.

Thank you!