Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
i.stajcic
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Igor Stajcic

Archive O365 backup

Post by i.stajcic »

Hello,
We use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 version 5 to backup a single O365 tenant. For the repository we use 2TB iSCSI drive attached to the backup server. The space on the drive is quickly depleting. We don't want to add space to the drive, but instead to archive old backups to another location. For example, we would like to archive all restore points that are older then 01.01.2022 and leave only this years backups in the repository.
How can we achieve that? Or if it is not possible, is there another way to split O365 backups?

Thanks.
Igor
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Archive O365 backup

Post by Polina »

Hi Igor,

There's no native support for backup archiving in VB365, but you can achieve it, for example, by using VBR and keeping backups of your VB365 installation somewhere offsite.
i.stajcic
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Igor Stajcic

Post by i.stajcic » 1 person likes this post

Hello Polina,
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't solve my problem. My backup repository is 2 TB in size and it will be full in a month or so. In order to keep using it, I need to move a portion of the O365 backup somewhere else to free up some space, but still keep the backup usable (restorable). How do I do that?
For example with VBR VM backups, I can move the old full backups files to another location and add that other location as a backup repository to VBR if I need to restore anything form those files. I'm looking for a solution like that for O365 backups.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

With PowerShell, you can move some of the backup data to another storage/repository, but there's no granularity, i.e. you can only move the entire mailbox/OneDrive/site with no selection for the time range.