Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cstaubli
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian

Backup to On-Premise via Express Route

Post by cstaubli »

Hi all

We're planning to offer an on-premise backup service for customers having their data in M365, particular those with compliance requirements. I did some research on egress costs, as backup data would leave Azure and going towards on-premise. Based on current change rate we expect to have monthly egress traffic of 2 TB for a single, medium sized customer. Based on current egress pricing this would cost around €150 (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/prici ... bandwidth/)

Now with express route and 50Mbps express route the same traffic would result in €105 traffic cost. With 10 similar sized customers that would result in €1400 vs €600 / month. Obviously this take setup costs not into account, but savings for multiple years are quite significant. So my question is, do I miss something in my quick math? And is it worth it or just too much of a hassle to setup?

Thanks in advance
Christian
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup to On-Premise via Express Route

Post by Mike Resseler »

Christian,

How are you planning to do this? Because if you connect directly to your customers M365 account, and then do backups direct to your datacenter on-prem, then there are no egress costs.
cstaubli
Service Provider

Post by cstaubli »

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that'd be the way I was planning to do this. So even if we're doing daily incremental backups for multiple customers (each with their own M365 account) there are no charges for traffic going from Azure to On-Prem?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

No, because we (kind off) download the data just like Outlook or a webbrowser (in case of SharePoint) does. And you don't pay for that egress traffic either :-)
cstaubli
Service Provider

Post by cstaubli »

Ah I see, that will make the calculation a lot easier
TheBrain82
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Oleg the Brain

Post by TheBrain82 »

Hello Gents,

I would like to bring up this very interesting topic again.

We are also planning to setup a on-premise backup service for customers having their data in M365 into our DC. But in these days, also internet traffic to DC`s, by using safe public IP`s to transfer huge amount of data does cost a lot of money from security aspect.

Is there any known and supported way to transfer the data from O365-Org to the on-prem environment by not using public ip`s inside of the DC? In my opinion a Cloud Connect or an Azure express route solution wouldn`t use a public ip and would be much more safe.

Does someone got any experience to backup M365 data to an on-prem environment by not using public ip connections?
Regards,
Stefan