Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
plavielle
Novice
Liked: never

Backup VB for office 365 to tape

Post by plavielle »

Hi Community.

I have one physical backup server with VBR 11 enterprise and LTO drives (6 and 4) and Veeam Backup for office 365.

Office 365 backup file are stored localy on server.

How can i backup Office 365 Backup to tape ??????

Do i backup the "repository" folder directly to tape ????

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup VB for office 365 to tape

Post by Mildur »

Hi Plavielle

Yes, that's one option. You can use a File To Tape job to write the backup files from the repository to the tape. Make sure to disable the VB365 services before you write the files to the tape. Please not, each tape job will write the entire repository to the tape. It's always a "full backup", because the backup files in your VB365 are always changing.

But there is a better option. Deploy a dedicated Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 server. Backup this server with a Agent or VM backup job with application aware processing enabled. This will additionally protect the entire server with it's operating system. Allowing you to do a disaster recovery of the entire VB365 backup server.
Use a backup To tape job to write the entire server backup to the tape.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
plavielle
Novice

Post by plavielle »

Do i have to stop "Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Service" and "Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft 365 Service" or just "Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Service" ????.

In case i decide to make a VM, if i want to keep my already made jobs, i jst have to install software, create local repository, connect to ms365, stop services copy backup file from actual server and restart VM or Service on VM ???

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Plavielle

The proxy service is responsible writing to the backup database files. But I would stop both services if you decide to use a File To Tape job.
In case i decide to make a VM, if i want to keep my already made jobs, i jst have to install software, create local repository, connect to ms365, stop services copy backup file from actual server and restart VM or Service on VM ???
The migration process is documented in our kb article. Organization, Repositories and backup jobs must be reconfigured o the new server. We don't have a configuration migration tool yet (it is on our roadmap).
https://www.veeam.com/kb2649

After the migration, the first backup job session will run longer. The job has to rescan all source objects/items to check, which are not yet protected in the backup repository. New or changed objects/items will be downloaded to the repository. It's a full scan of the source, but still an incremental backup.

For the agent or VM backup job of the VB365 server, services do not have to be disabled anymore. A backup with application aware processing will create a consistent backup of the VB365 data.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
plavielle
Novice

Post by plavielle »

Thanks for your help.
I'm going to try tonight.