Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
houdem
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michel Houde

Cannot add SMB share as repository

Post by houdem »

Hi,

I am trying to add an SMB share as a repository and I always get a path error.

After researching a bit it looks like you have to create a service account with local admin rights and log the service with that account, so far so good.

But doing that the service doesn`t event start, it always end up with Error 1604.

I don`t know what to do at this point.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
houdem
Enthusiast

Re: Cannot add SMB share as repository

Post by houdem »

Just to add, the VBO server is not on a domain, is that supported ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michel

SMB shares are a bad design decision for Vb365 backups. Also they only have experimental support.
Please consider using iSCSI instead if your storage device allows it.

If you still want to use SMB, please follow this kb article. Note the requirements. Your VB365 server and SMB server must be in the same or trusted active directory domain.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2971

If you still have issues, please open a support case and provide us with the case number.
Just to add, the VBO server is not on a domain, is that supported ?
No, please see the provided kb article. Active directory domain is required for SMB repository.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
houdem
Enthusiast

Post by houdem »

The thing is iSCSI is less secure than an SMB share. If the machine where the iSCSI is connected is compromised, the data stored on the target is easily accessed and thus, vulnerable to attacks.

On the other hand with an SMB share, the attacker will have to find the right credentials to access the data from the backup server.

Am I wrong ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

On the other hand with an SMB share, the attacker will have to find the right credentials to access the data from the backup server.
Just open the backup software/powershell and delete all backups? No additional credentials required :)

An attacker on the backup server doesn‘t need to brute force any SMB passwords when the backup software already have access to the share.

SMB is not more secure than iSCSI when an attacker has admin access to the storage appliance or on the backup server.

You will get the best security with our recommended storage option „object storage“ and the upcoming version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 v7. A new feature is immutability for backup copy jobs. Backups cannot be deleted on the backup server for the configured retention time. Not even with admin permissions on the backup server. SMB and iSCSI will never have such capability (technical limitation).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
houdem
Enthusiast

Post by houdem »

Ok, you got a point on this.

I stand corrected.