Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Catch-All job doesn't backup Teams Chat

Post by Regnor »

I just noticed that a catch-all job (Backup entire organization) doesn't include the Teams Chats/Channel Posts.
Also if you add the organization object, the Teams Chat checkbox is deselected by default.

Is this a known behaviour and does it makes sense?
If you configure a job to backup everything, one would think that it includes all possible processing options including the chats.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Catch-All job doesn't backup Teams Chat

Post by Polina »

Hi Max,

This is the design indeed, and we specifically disabled it to prevent situations when our customers would get unexpected bills from Microsoft. I know from our customers that when using paid APIs for chats backup they typically prefer to protect only selected important conversations and save on chats with flooding.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Hi Polina,

Thanks for making that clear.
In my opinion this shouldn't cause any unexpected costs as the customer actively needs to apply for the API and enable it in Veeam. Therefore he should be aware that there will be costs generated when backing up everything.
Maybe you can make this more clearer in the GUI, helpcenter and KB article. Otherwise I'm sure there will be cases where customers falsely think 'everything' includes chat.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Helpcenter is being updated as we speak - thank you for noticing that this information was overlooked.
cbecker
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by cbecker »

Just spent several hours on this - I get the cost argument but there are currently too many hoops to jump through that could get automated (additional permissions, subscription link, manual activation via command line on server and proxies, then org-level activation, then backup activation).
We have several hundred teams to back up. Manually listing and then configuring them is cumbersome and will not scale as new teams are added. Please rethink this approach.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

You can configure a single job which backups all teams. Just add the organization container and select teams in the processing options: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

My issue was related to the 'Back Up Entire Organization' selection, where Teams isn't included.
cbecker
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by cbecker »

Thank you very much for the suggestion, that's what I've been looking for - selecting "Back up the following objects", then adding the organization and enabling chat messages does the trick!