Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ryan_gcits
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Colombo

Comparing VBO and DropSuite

Post by ryan_gcits »

Hello,

I am looking to compare VBO and DropSuite. For some context, I work at an MSP and we manage backups of Office 365 tenants for about 100 tenants, ranging in size from 5 seats to about 50 seats. I've been happy with VBO to date, however my boss wants me to trial DropSuite. One of the major reasons being it's a little cheaper.

There is also an 'archiving' feature DropSuite has. It was described to my by the DropSuite sales guy as similar to legal hold. As soon as an email arrives in the mailbox, DropSuite picks it up and injects it into the backup. In that way, every email is captured in backups - compared to if an email is received, and then deleted in the same day before a Veeam backup is run, it might never exist in the backups at all.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into this, or any other major pros/cons that might stand one product apart from the other?

I'm quite familiar with the VBO interface, having used it for a few years now and getting confident in doing restores etc. I am hesitant to move away from Veeam just to save a few bucks, and am trying to articulate the best argument possible to my boss.

Thankyou!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Comparing VBO and DropSuite

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ryan
I would greatly appreciate any insight into this, or any other major pros/cons that might stand one product apart from the other?
Veeam product management cannot comment on other products or make comparisons between different products. I suggest that you contact your sales representative or your local systems engineer at Veeam. They will be able to tell you about pro and cons.
We (product management) can help you here in the forum if you have a specific question about one of our products. Please let me know if you need specific information about a VB365 feature.
There is also an 'archiving' feature DropSuite has. It was described to my by the DropSuite sales guy as similar to legal hold. As soon as an email arrives in the mailbox, DropSuite picks it up and injects it into the backup. In that way, every email is captured in backups - compared to if an email is received, and then deleted in the same day before a Veeam backup is run, it might never exist in the backups at all.
Most likely this is done by journaling rules and not backup jobs. This happens outside of the mailbox. When a mail is send or received, a copy of this mail is send to the archiver appliance. That's how archiver application normally are working.
If a backup job or automatic rescan would scan through the mailbox to detect new items, chances are great that it will miss items which are deleted a few seconds after creation. No "rescan process" is fast enough to scan through hundreds or thousands of mailboxes to detect within 0 seconds new items to archive.

VB365 doesn't provide archive functionality this way. What VB365 can do, we can backup litigation hold. If you configure the mailboxes with litigation hold, VB365 can backup this items. But it isn't the best solution for archiving mails.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software