Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Configuration Backup... please?

Post by billcouper » 1 person likes this post

I have 65 orgs setup in my M365 Backup console.

When I upgraded to v6 GA, that failed, leaving me with no installed copy of M365 Backup!
I restored the server from backup and tried again a few times. I couldn't get the upgrade to install.
I ended up doing a fresh installation of M365 Backup v6.

I tried to restore the configdb/proxydb data files but the service wouldn't start. I set up all 65 orgs again from scratch :(

Is there a supported method of performing a database backup and restore? I don't really want to go through this process again
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Configuration Backup... please?

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bill,

Just asking - will the suggested workaround work for you?

Thanks!
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Post by billcouper »

Hi Natalia,
That is basically what I did. I have backups of the server.

* When the v6 upgrade failed I restored the server and tried again, multiple times.
* I then tried installing the new version clean and restoring the old config files over the top. The VBO365 service wouldn't start.
* I also tried just adding the existing proxy servers to the new installation. The KB2649 article about migrating to a new server seems to indicate all you have to do is add the existing proxy servers and then the organizations should appear? That didn't happen for me.

Since this is a test-dev environment and I wanted to get v6 running, I recreated the 65 orgs and their backup jobs, which took some time. It would be great if there was a more streamlined configuration backup and restore procedure, where you can restore the same or a previous version config (for example install v6 and restore a config backup from v5).
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Bill,

Applying the previous configuration doesn't work in this case. In the KB, step #5 says that you need to add your organization to VB365 manually. We don't store your organization credentials, and therefore cannot re-add your tenant automatically.

Configuration backup is on our roadmap, and it's one of my personal favorites from the list of to-do features.

Also, please consider contacting our support if you experience issues with the upgrade (or any other) - this one call could help you save hours of time, and our engineers are always happy to assist and resolve your problems.

Thanks!
Kirmis
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Kirmis »

Hello to all,

In Veeam o365 backup, I assume that currently there is not way to backup it's Veeam configuration DB, right ?

Im trying to find a way actually to protect the Veeam Server !

Thank you in advance,
Nikos
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nikos

Today you can protect the VB365 Server with VBR or Veeam Agent. In case you lost the server, you can restore it with OS and the entire VB365 configuration/data.
Make sure to use Application Aware processing in the job settings.

https://bp.veeam.com/vbo/guide/design/3-2-1.html
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software