Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
jgar
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Garcia

Edit Exchange server in existing job?

Post by jgar »

Hi,

we upgraded from v6.x to last v7 build today.

While doing that, I realized that the previous existing job was failing since a few weeks, actually since the date at which the former on-prem Exchange version 2016 was migrated to 2019.

Which implies that the on-prem Exchange 2019 server is since then a new machine, with a different name.

Is there any way to edit the existing job to take that into account, and seamlessly resume the job from there?

Also, the data was being backed-up to object storage on cloud.
In case the job cannot easily be adjusted for the new on-prem server, I'm not sure that it's worth to keep all previous object storage data in the cloud.
I assume that if we'd like to delete it and restart from scratch, this is something to do at the object storage provider level, and not from VBO itself?

Thanks.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Edit Exchange server in existing job?

Post by chris.childerhose »

Check out this forum post which relates and has a KB article to follow - veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/what ... 81369.html
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jose

The link Chris posted is about renaming the VB365 server itself. Your situation doesn't involve that situation.

Can you edit the exchange server name in the organization properties? For the configuration I recommend you to use your OWA FQDN. With the OWA FQDN you don't have to edit it again in the next server migration project. Just change DNS to the new Exchange Server and backup jobs should keep working.
In case the job cannot easily be adjusted for the new on-prem server, I'm not sure that it's worth to keep all previous object storage data in the cloud.
If IDs of the objects didn't have changed while migrating the mailbox to a new server, the next backup will be an incremental backup. I recommend a short test:
1) Change FQDN of the exchange in the organization settings
2) Create a new job with only 1 mailbox (2-3GB Mailbox), point the job to the same cloud repository
3) Run the job and check the job session details. You will see if its an incremental or full backup.
I assume that if we'd like to delete it and restart from scratch, this is something to do at the object storage provider level, and not from VBO itself?
If you want to delete your existing backup data completely after your test with the single mailbox, I recommend to delete the entire bucket and create a new one for the new initial backup.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jgar
Novice

Post by jgar »

Hello Fabian,

thank for your response.

The problem is precisely that I don't see the way to edit the Exchange server name in the Org properties.
This is assuming that you mean right-clicking the existing org, and then "Edit organization"

There's another option "Rename organization" in the same right-click contextual menu, which I tried.
Say Org was renamed from "originalname.domain.com" to newservername.domain.com"

Then, instead of trying to start a minimal job, I rather tried to just simulate adding/editing users in the existing job.

But I got the following error:
"Connecting to remote server "originalname.domain.com" failed with the following error message: The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested URL was available"

thx.
jgar
Novice

Post by jgar »

edit: typo at end of error message, it's "UNavailable".
jgar
Novice

Post by jgar » 1 person likes this post

Sorry my mistake...

In "Edit organization", I didn't go further than the screen with the OAuth settings, as the "next" button was grayed out because I didn't specify the Azure app certificate initially used.
And didn't remember that the Exchange server name was practically the last thing asked in the steps of create/edit Org process.

Job has now resumed, will see if incremental or not when completed.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jose

Thanks for the update.
Please let me know how it goes.

Best,
Fabian
jgar
Novice

Post by jgar »

Hi Fabian,

just to confirm that all went OK:

Online-based archives, which is what we were backing up related to our on-prem mailboxes, completed their catch-up backup since the later was inadvertently interrupted since 3 of May due to the change of server.

Last but not least, our Public Folders backup, interrupted since MS disablement of basic auth on October 24th for us, also resumed & completed successfully in modern auth mode.

And both incrementally.

Cheers.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jose

Thank you for the update. Appreciate it.

Best,
Fabian