Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
plamb-fcs
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Lamb

Error sending email notifications to office 365

Post by plamb-fcs »

Case #05334327 — cannot configure email setting for Office365

We are not able to send email notifications from Veeam to Office 365. When attempting to send a test email we receive the following error. "Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings." I know its not an issue with the credentials, I am successfully able to log into the account we use email and can send and receive email on that account with no issue. Also tried other accounts. using smtp.office365.com for the smtp server. With port 587. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Error sending email notifications to office 365

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The truth should be in the logs, but as far as I see logs are missing in the support case (once guessing does not solve it, support will probably ask also ask you for logs). My guess is that something is wrong in the advanced SMTP options (maybe SSL, maybe name-mismatch, maybe password, maybe multi factor authentication enabled).

Best regards,
Hannes
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

It could be possible the SMTP Auth is disabled for this or all users in your tenant.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchan ... submission
Also look at this KB regarding your TLS settings:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2853
walrus2120
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: david alonso

Post by walrus2120 »

I just encountered something similar with a Veeam ONE installation not accepting credentials / failing to authenticate with Office 365. Not sure if it was a reboot of the server after the install or actually manually typing the information in, instead of copy pasting the info.

Hope that helps.