Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cl1234
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature Request: Back up all Teams Data

Post by cl1234 »

So when we bought licensing for our clients and created a backup job that says to back up Teams, we were under the impression it was backing up Teams.
upon my client requesting we look for a chat between two employees, I could not find this and created a case and found out that even though we are paying Veeam to back up our 365 data, they don't actually back up all the data. This is absolutely ridiculous - my client is furious as they are paying us to back up their data.
So this needs to be added in ASAP - if I select to back up exchange, sharepoint, onedrive, and teams, it "MUST" back up all this data.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Feature Request: Back up all Teams Data

Post by Gostev »

AFAIK it is not technically possible to backup certain chat types at this time due to a Microsoft limitation. Am I remembering this right @Mike Resseler ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: Back up all Teams Data

Post by Mike Resseler »

@cl1234 @Gostev

Technically it is possible, but until recently, the cost was very high because there is no deduplication into those messages. So imagine a chat between 10 people with in total 50 messages, we would need 500! (paid) API calls to protect that data. (And imagine you have a 1 to the entire organization chat...) Today, we have a private beta of the API that will allow for deduplication so we can start testing this feature. But I don't have a timing at this point in time.