Post by jorgen.b »

+1 Sharepoint then OneDrive
bvanvelzen
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bart van Velzen

Re: Feature Request - Backup of Office 365 Sharepoint

Post by bvanvelzen » 1 person likes this post

We also want OneDrive for Business and SharePoint backup being added to this offering. Most of our clients use Office 365 and see a big increase in SharePoint use. And with this also the problem with for example crypto lockers which can encrypt also SharePoint Online. Microsoft has a disaster recovery procedure for this, but it takes a while and you cannot selectivly recover items. So only disaster recovery and no retention. With this problem we see a big increase in customer demand on SharePoint back-up. We want to provide this as a managed service to our customers.
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

Hi All, could you please share some numbers to understand the scale of your SharePoint and OneDrive deployments? We're specifically interested in your storage consumption, files, sites count, etc. (total and per user). Thanks.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Another request for OneDrive for Business backup!
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

ninjaburn81 wrote:Another request for OneDrive for Business backup!
Any chance to get some OneDrive stats from your deployment? :)
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 » 2 people like this post

We have 1600 O365 E3 users.
Our average onedrive consumption is <1GB per user, with my largest user having ~10GB of data.

In total we have ~50GB in sharepoint online, across 4 sites. (Rough guess at 10,000 files total)

I'd love to have sharepoint site backup first, if both features can't be delivered in the same release.
phillbl
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: phill

Post by phillbl »

onedrive is based on sharepoint (i think) so hopefully can be done at the same time.
njsmee
Novice
Full Name: Nigel Smee

Post by njsmee »

Essential Feature, the Beta 365 Mail Backups are a great start, looking forward to seeing this as well.
alexh
Novice
Full Name: Alex McBride

Post by alexh »

+1 for Sharepoint Online backup!
orgChris
Novice
Liked: never

Post by orgChris »

+1 I agree.
Eamonn Deering
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: EamonnD

Post by Eamonn Deering »

+1 for SharePoint and OneDrive
For now our requirement numbers are low but could easily go over 2000 users in the next few months.
AColombo_Connexo
Lurker
Full Name: Alberto Colombo

Post by AColombo_Connexo »

Hi,
i'm Alberto and our company is migrating their old sharepoint 2007 to Sharepoint Online, but we still DON'T have a reliable backup solution - just office 365 recycle bin.
this could be a scenario:

“One of my Office 365 users accidentally deleted a document in SharePoint and 30 days has passed since it was purged from the Site Collection Recycle Bin. They are now asking me to restore the document! Sounds, simple, but it isn’t. Office 365 only backs up content for 14 days."

this is why i vote for veeam to backup Sharepoint Online soon!!
Best Regards,
Alberto
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Alberto and all,

Your votes are noted! Alberto, thanks for the use-case. Indeed a very good reason to have backups (although there are many others :-)).

All: Besides voting, can you also describe (high-level) your environment that you expect to have in O365 (size / # of users / average size per onedrive user / whatever else you can share...). Those stats would be highly appreciated!

Cheers

Mike
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

From a design point of view, I'm also curious to read where people is planning to place VBO. On-premises together with VBR, on a machine "in another cloud" to leverage large bandwidth and cheap storage, or else. Cloud to Cloud protection in regards to VBO has come out quite often in the last weeks in discussions with service providers.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
sdejong
Lurker
Full Name: Sander

Post by sdejong »

Luca,

We are specific looking for a backup from Office365 content (Email, Onedrive, Office Groups, Sharepoint) to our onpremise storage where we also have our VBR backups.
At this moment I see no products having this functionality. Only parts of it (CodeTwo for email, Druva Insync for files), alle the other solution backup Cloud to Cloud.
So this a huge gap in the market, grap it...;)

Regards,
Sander de Jong
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sander,

Thanks for the insight in what your requirements are. Really appreciated. Can you clarify what you mean by Office Groups support. Are you seeking the possibility the restore the groups planning / Onenote and document library? Is that enough?

Thanks

Mike
sdejong
Lurker
Full Name: Sander

Post by sdejong » 1 person likes this post

Mike,

Yes, it would be nice tot backup and restore all information in the group (group mailbox, OneNote, Document library and planning), primary the document library would be necessary.

Regards,
Sander
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Sander! I appreciate it that you come back to me with the information. It makes it better for me to understand the business requirements!

Mike
HenrikE
Lurker
Full Name: Henrik Elmsjö

Post by HenrikE » 1 person likes this post

Hi all!

I work as a consultant and have completed 20+ migrations to Office 365 for different sets of companies, I also often give lectures about Office 365. I have evaluated several different Office 365 backup products apart from Veeam for O365, such as CloudFinder, Spanning Backup and CloudAlly. Veeam Office 365 backup is interesting as it can be used both on-prem for those who like that and can I guess it can also be run in any IaaS provider VM you like to make it a cloud-to-cloud solution. Now, my reactions:

Veeam is really good as backup up mail. Easy to install and get going with, and restores is a breeze. I especially like the fact that you assume that one wants the restore to go back to where the original object was, the others for some reason like to create a "restore subfolder" and put stuff back there. So backup/restore of e-mail with Veeam is pretty much nailed down already. The GUI is great at that!

As many here have already posted, the one big thing missing is backup/restore of OneDrive/Sharepoint. I understand and respect that you start with backup of mail as that is something everybody uses, but please let backup of OneDrive be the next thing. All the other products I tested above have this already. Being able to backup and restore personal OneDrives and also shared libraries created with Groups and Planner is of much value. Of course all the other stuff like OneNote can be of value, but backup of documents would be the priority I'd say. Thats what people will miss most often and generally has greatest impact if lost. If I were you I'd release things in this manner:

1. Finish the backup of mail and go GA with it.
2. Add backups of personal OneDrives.
3. Add backup of Groups / Planner document libraries.
4. Add backup of Sharepoint Online in general with its different shared document functions

Nice to haves if you have free time:
5. Add backup of Planner Plans
6. Add backup of O365 Video libraries

Best regards
Henrik
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Henrik,

1. GA soon... Really soon :-)
2. Plans are being discussed and we are talking your (and others) feedback on the table
3. We hear you, although I am a bit surprised that you prefer this faster than #4

PS: You mention that OneNote is important (I agree, I use and rely on it heavily...) but if you backup OneDrive then the OneNote documents are included also... Is that enough for backup?

Thanks

Mike
HenrikE
Lurker
Full Name: Henrik Elmsjö

Post by HenrikE »

Hello!

Yes, that OneNote backup should be enough as long as it can be restored as a unit of it's own.

The reason for my preference is that it kinda follows the pattern I see that customers usually follow when moving to Office 365. They all start with mail, then move file usage from their homedrive H: on the old file server to OneDrive, then they explore Groups and Planner for collaboration as they are SaaS solutions ready to consume. Fullblown Sharepoint PaaS document Intranets are more rare and often comes way later in the customers move to Office 365 (if ever). To cover most of the customers scenarios with a backup solution, my advice to you would be to follow the same pattern. Hence the order of my list.
n0creativity
Influencer
Full Name: Dave Anderson

Post by n0creativity »

Definitely add me to the list that would prefer to have Veeam handle ALL of our backups. Email, Sharepoint, and OneDrive data. I don't really want to use 2 ro 3 different products to handle all of those things.

After a small issue with clearing out the old preview build and installing GA, so far so good! I was actually quite surprised at how fast it was able to backup the mailboxes. Most of the comparable products I tested were significantly slower.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks David!

Please note we are aware of your additional requests and are researching as we speak (no promises, you know me by now :-)). Is it possible to share with me the numbers on your backup? You can PM me those if you don't want to share them on the forum

Thanks!
Mike
n0creativity
Influencer

Post by n0creativity »

No problem.
Initial run on GA.

Mailboxes: 307 of 312
Duration: 7 hours and 15 minutes
Total Transferred: 141.43 GB (1,472,360 items processed)
Processing rate: 5.55 MB/s (56 items/s)
Read rate: 1.34 MB/s
Write rate: 63.20 MB/s

The five failed mailboxes had the following errors:

11/29/2016 9:26:46 PM :: Processing mailbox mbox1 failed with error: Failed to synchronize item changes. The remote name could not be resolved: 'outlook.office365.com'

11/29/2016 9:27:33 PM :: Processing mailbox mbox2 failed with error: Failed to synchronize item changes. The remote name could not be resolved: 'outlook.office365.com'

11/29/2016 11:09:55 PM :: Processing mailbox mbox3 failed with error: Failed to synchronize item changes. The remote name could not be resolved: 'outlook.office365.com'

11/29/2016 11:27:51 PM :: Processing mailbox mbox4 failed with error: Failed to synchronize item changes. The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.. Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

11/30/2016 1:31:27 AM :: Processing mailbox mbox5 failed with error: Failed to get folders. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Immediately after the initial job finished, it automatically re-ran the backup for those 5 failed mailboxes and they completed successfully with the following:
Mailboxes: 5 of 5
Duration: 1 hour and 21 minutes
Total Transferred: 6.22 GB (61,996 items processed)
Processing rate: 1.30 MB/s (12 items/s)
Read rate: 1.10 MB/s
Write rate: 77.07 MB/s

Hope that helps
Deckers
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kyle

Post by Deckers »

I would also love to see this product expand to include OneDrive and SharePoint. I honestly thought it would do more than email until I installed it. The product name is a little misleading as is.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

David,

It helps a lot! Thanks for letting me know. I also would live to see the next run (incrementals) if possible. This question is actually for everyone... I would love to see some numbers please :-)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Kyle,

Understood. Yes, the name did say Office but from day 1 we were thinking about growing this product at a certain point in time and changing the name every version didn't seem to be a good idea ;-).
n0creativity
Influencer

Post by n0creativity »

Mike Resseler wrote:David,

It helps a lot! Thanks for letting me know. I also would live to see the next run (incrementals) if possible. This question is actually for everyone... I would love to see some numbers please :-)
Incremental run - 11.30.2016 @ 5:00 pm - No Errors
Mailboxes: 313 of 313 (yes we added a new mailbox today)
Duration: 23 minutes
Total Transferred: 985.96 MB (7,489 items processed)
Processing rate: 708.26 KB/s (5 items/s)
Read rate: 516.67 KB/s
Write rate: 49.82 MB/s

The processing and read rates dropped significantly, but I would expect that to happen. Microsoft really didn't make Exchange Online very backup friendly. The fact you have to impersonate each user... well it's just never gonna be "fast".
Daveknl
Lurker
Full Name: Vee

Post by Daveknl »

+1 for the Onedrive for Business backup feature.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

+1 for OneDrive and SharePoint from a partner