Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Feature Request - Licensing Reporting, Mailbox Types

Post by dloseke » 1 person likes this post

Couple of items I'd love to see around VB365.
1. Some sort of way to view the number of licenses consumed per Organization, both billable and new (using the rental model). I'm fine with this being in the VB365 console, or in the Service Provider Console, or even in Veeam ONE. The SPC seems like the best place to have it, but I'm open to any option at this point. Edit: It's in the Monthly Usage reports and has been noted that the next version of the SPC will place more information in the Subscription as well.
2. Some way that when setting up a backup job, it would give me an estimate of how many licenses are going to be consumed. For example, when creating a backup job and I specify a group, I would need to view the member of the group to see how many mailboxes exist. If there was a way that it could query, even by button, against the selected objects to see how many licenses it estimates it would be utilized. I realize that if you have separate jobs setup for OneDrive and Mailboxes and Teams, etc, that could create some duplication as you could be consuming the same license multiple times depending on the data source for the same user, but with the intent of no longer needing to setup separate jobs for each data source in future version, that becomes more of a moot point.
3. When selecting mailboxes to be backed up, I only see each mailbox as a user mailbox, regardless of if it's a Shared Mailbox, Resource Mailbox, etc. I like to select what mailboxes are backed up via groups or in rare cases, individually, but I still need to backup Shared and Resource mailboxes as well, and right now I have to look at Exchange Online and validate that I've selected those non-user mailbox types manually.
4. Dynamic mailbox selection - some sort of way to filter out or specify that all resource mailboxes or shared mailboxes (and in some cases, user mailboxes) or something like that are automatically backed up. Sort of an in-between of selecting the entire organization and manually selecting each mailbox to be backed up. This is kind of a catch-all item to make sure that any new accounts are captured without manual interaction.

Let me know if any of these items are available and I've just missed them.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Licensing Reporting, Mailbox Types

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey Derek,
1. As you say, this is addressed in the service provider console
2. I don't foresee this soon in the solution. That means querying that group in Azure AD. But as a workaround it is possible to query AAD yourself to see how many members are in a specific group. Although that is a manual workaround of course.
3. In our next version you will see the difference between users and resource mailboxes in the UI
4. I believe that can be done with dynamic security groups where you can create those rules through filters: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure ... membership
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Re: Feature Request - Licensing Reporting, Mailbox Types

Post by dloseke »

Thanks Mike. I knew #2 and #4 were going to be a bit of a stretch but I figured I'd request them in the off-chance that they're doable.
2. Yeah, a workaround. It's doable, but would be an awesome feature in my opinion if it was possible, but I understand that it would take a fair amount of work, and I'm not sure if others would find it as helpful as I would.
3. Looking forward to this - that little detail will be immensely helpful! Thank you!
4. I have looked into Dynamic Security groups but it looks like that didn't work well. I don't recall exactly what the restriction was as this was several weeks ago, but I ended up down a rabbit hole of others reporting some of the same deficiencies that I was running into when trying to go this route. I can't remember if it was tied to resource mailboxes or not - I seem to recall that resource and shared mailboxes couldn't be selected in a dynamic group, and only users could, but I also recall conversations about some of this being a GUI restriction and maybe some of it would be possible via PowerShell.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke