Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

How is archive tiering is triggered after backup copy job is finished?

Post by chrisflyckelen »

Hi,

I configured a backup copy job from Wasabi object storage to Azure Archive Blob Storage. Everything is working fine with that. ;-)

I wonder why the data in the container is still in the cool tier though and not the archive tier?
How and on what point in time will this process be triggered?

Greets,
Chris
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How is archive tiering is triggered after backup copy job is finished?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Chris

Not every blob is stored on Archive Tier.
From comparing the object storage structure from the user guide and my Azure Blob Container, only metadata/information from the protected workload is stored in the cold tier. The actual backup data is stored on the archive tier.
Which makes sense to me because VB365 must be able to change the metadata stored in the azure storage container. You can't do that in the archive tier.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by chrisflyckelen »

Hello Fabian,

thanks for your explanation and I am fine with the circumstance that VBO has to change metadata.
On the other side I went down in repository structure in folders like "repository / Veeam / Backup365 / archive / Organizations / xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / Mailboxes / xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / Folders" I can't find any blobs in the archive tier. Maybe a misconfiguration of the Azure storage account?

I assumed that the archive process is a "at-rest process" which is performed after the backup copy job has finished.

Kind regards,
Christian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Folders is a snapshot of the current folder structure. I see my actual backup data in this location:
repository / Veeam / Backup365 / archive / Organizations / xxxxxxxxxx / Mailboxes / xxxxxxxxxx / Messages / Data

Let me check something else regarding these folders. The guide mentions a "Backups" folder which contains the backups. Which isn't available in any of my backup's copies. Instead, I have "Messages" for each Mailbox.
Maybe a misconfiguration of the Azure storage account?
No, I don't believe so. Do you see the blobs in Messages / Data on archive tier? Then everything is ok.
If you still have doubts, that it doesn't work as expected, please open a support case to check the configuration.
I assumed that the archive process is a "at-rest process" which is performed after the backup copy job has finished.
The Backup Copy job copies the backups directly from the source to archive blobs.
If you use the azure archiver appliance, the copy will be done directly within azure. Without the archiver appliance, the VB365 proxy will read the backups from the source object storage and write them to the archive object storage.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software