Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
RyanJ
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Ryan J

MS Deprecating EWS API

Post by RyanJ »

There was a recent announcement that MS is deprecating the EWS API and recommending that people switch entirely to Graph API. I know VBO365 uses Graph API already for some things, but still uses EWS for Exchange backups. It seems they recently updated the bulletin to specify exactly which APIs are being decommissioned, so I'm not exactly clear on what this means from a backup perspective.

Bulletin: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2813925

"We will also remove the ability to register new apps in Azure with EWS permissions starting September 30, 2022"
"We strongly urge our ecosystem partners accessing Exchange Online data to migrate to Microsoft Graph APIs."

The issue I'm seeing is, Graph APIs don't provide full fidelity messages the same way EWS does yet.

How will this change by MS affect VBO backups?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: MS Deprecating EWS API

Post by Mike Resseler »

Not at this moment. We are aware of which ones are getting deprecated and continue to change EWS API's for GRAPH API's if they become available. MSFT works with us on this and tries to get as much Graph API's available as fast as possible
RyanJ
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Ryan J

Post by RyanJ »

Good to know, I assumed Veeam would be fully aware, but I just wanted to have some more info when I get asked about it.

Thanks!
DM-JM
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason M

Post by DM-JM »

Any update on this? EWS is set to be retired October 1, 2026 so not an immediate issue. But the VBM365 User Guide for 7.0 still has EWS APIs EWS.AccessAsUser.All and full_access_as_app listed as requirements.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jason

Our teams have already started their planning. We will provide necessary product updates before Microsoft retires the EWS API in October 2026.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software