Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tom.lefe
Lurker
Liked: never

Object repo Azure Blob to S3 Sync

Post by tom.lefe »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying validate a global backup sync method having an issue testing the following case :
I have a Veam 365 backup server in Azure using Azure Blob storage as the backup repository. I then have a S3 Bucket using AWS DataSync to import mulitple backup repositories.

My goal have kind of an air gapped backup in S3 and when trying to create a new Veeam 365 server that directly connects to the S3 repository (following this guide https://www.veeam.com/kb2649) and see if restore would be feasible, I can't sync the repository once it's been created. It's stays out of sync with a pretty generic error message : Unrecognized Guid format.

I read somewhere that Azure Blob and S3 object repositories are not treated the same way by Veeam, could that the issue I'm facing ?

Thanks for any insight
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Object repo Azure Blob to S3 Sync

Post by Mildur »

Hello Tom

Such replication is not supported. We don't test this scenario.
Please use backup copy jobs within Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to get an immutable copy to AWS S3: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

Thanks,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
tom.lefe
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tom.lefe »

Thanks a lot Fabian,

I kept digging and could indeed only see issue with what I was trying to put in place.

Cheers,
Tom
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, there is a huge difference in the implementation of both object storage types. In the future we are thinking about a migration scenario but we are not yet fully certain how that would work. We have done some "proof of concept" testing with copying data between object storages and see if we could reconnect, but most of those seemed to not copy all the necessary data for some reason. Backup copy as Mildur suggested would be your best solution now.