Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Enrique.gomez
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Enrique Gómez Córdoba

Restore portal web address ¿need to be defined in DNS?

Post by Enrique.gomez »

Hello everyone,

This is a simple (although a little dumb one) question that I cannot find out myself... I will have to configure a Restore Portal for the first time and I my question is regarding the web address that must be defined when creating the Azure Application: should the address need to be added to a DNS as to be correctly resolved so it points to the IP of the VM that contains the VO365 service? OR I could just create any web address (as a "tag" sort of thing) and then just add that to the hosts file in the endpoints that are going to connect to the portal?? Example... If I choose to define as restoreportal.mycustomer.com should this resolve the same as any other address in the customer's domain, like webmail@mycustomer.com ... or it's just enough to put an entry in the hosts file as this:
10.10.100.25 restoreportal.mycustomer.com

In my scenario, the vm that has the VO365 will have the portal and is in the same private LAN as the endpoints that will connect to the portal.

Thank you!

Enrique.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore portal web address ¿need to be defined in DNS?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Enrique

It's always recommended to use DNS. You don't want to deploy host files on each end-users machine.
That seems unpractical to me.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Enrique.gomez
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Enrique Gómez Córdoba

Re: Restore portal web address ¿need to be defined in DNS?

Post by Enrique.gomez »

Hello,
Thanks for the answer.

WE did that, the entry in the DNS resolved to the private ip of the veeam server and everything went well.

Also, we did use the same certificate that veeam generated days ago when adding the tenant's organization. It worked fine ... maybe is not a surprise for the more experienced people; remember it was my first deploying of the portal ;)

Cheers!