Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
benf
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Filippelli

Restoring unlicensed mailbox/teams/1drive

Post by benf »

We have 2 dynamic groups setup, one is Active Licensed (user is active and has a license) and Unlicensed users (user license is null or account is disabled). So today we went to retrieve onedrive data for a user who was let go about 6 weeks ago. When I went to most recent backup they werent there, makes sense. So I went back to the week before they were terminated they are also not there. I then went back several months and still that user is not there. We are set for 1-year retention

I went and checked another tenant and it looks to be the same, so heres my question

1 - I would be 100% sure that Veeam doesnt go in and 'delete' that data once it falls out of scope right? that wouldnt be a thing
2 - Is it possible because the user is not licensed they dont 'show up' in the restore area? I would think this isnt a thing because we could restore local or to pst but poking around I didn't see anything confirming how this 'old' data is handled.

In the summary report Im showing
Protected Users 20
Unprotected with Restores 3
Unprotected Users 22

This seems realistic as we just took over this client earlier this year, but for the life of me I cannot find the '3' unprotected with restores
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restoring unlicensed mailbox/teams/1drive

Post by Mildur »

Hello Ben

Data from objects not protected anymore by a job can be restored by „right click“ on the organization:

„Right click“ on the job will only load restore points from objects which are still protected by the job.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software