Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

SSL requirement for S3 Object Storage

Post by DaStivi »

Hello,
is there ah regkey available to disable SSL requirement for S3 Object Storage? i'm fully aware of what i'm asking here

BUT: when you've an onPrem S3 Storage and the Traffic is in an limited Network segement, its not really ah security concern! especially in bigger environments, with lot of S3 Object (M365 Objects/Items), having no SSL/TLS Encryption for every S3-IO, could lead in much better Performacne as no Encryption has to be done for each request... and so would relieve CPU Stress on Proxys and Storage!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SSL requirement for S3 Object Storage

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stephan

I don't expect backup jobs to perform better without using SSL. Especially when the main bottleneck is throttling on Microsoft site. Do you see performance issues on your proxy server?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

true that MS might be the bottleneck... for single tenant backups this mit just be "breadcrumps" ... but in SP environments with multiple tenants and proxy, even small amount of CPU Stress relieve can be allready helpfull!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Stephan

I checked with our team and there is a configuration parameter to enable HTTP for object storage appliances. Unfortunately it cannot be share publicly. Please open a support case and ask our support team to implement the configuration.
If you let me know the case number, I can guide them to the configuration parameter in case they are not aware of it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software