Asahi
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

Support for IRM-encrypted files in VBM 365 v7

Post by Asahi »

Hi,

Somebody please help me!
Does VBM 365 v7 support backup and restore of files with IRM encryption performed?

The release notes state the following
https://www.software-express.de/static/ ... _notes.pdf
===
Information Rights Management (IRM) settings for SharePoint lists and libraries are not preserved upon restore.
===

Does this mean that VBM 365 v7 cannot perform backup and restore of IRM encrypted files?

Regards,
Asahi.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Support for IRM-encrypted files in VBM 365 v7

Post by Polina »

Hi Asahi,

Files with IRM settings can be backed up and these settings are preserved upon restore. However, on incremental runs, these settings are updated in the backup only if a document itself has been modified (we cannot capture only IRM changes). For example, if you change IRM rules but do not edit or change the file, in the backup it will still have its initial IRM settings and will be restored with those settings.

IRM settings applied to SharePoint lists and libraries are not supported for backup.

Thanks!
Asahi
Expert

Post by Asahi »

Hi Polina,

Thank you for reply.

Sorry, I still do not understand correctly.
My understanding was that the encryption of files by IRM is performed on lists and libraries.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... -worldwide

Therefore, I thought that backup and restore would not be supported for files that reside in an encrypted List or Library with IRM enabled.

Am I understanding this incorrectly?

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Asahi,

If you download files from lists/libraries with IRM settings, they're encrypted and this information is included in the files' metadata and it's backed up. When you restore such files from backups this metadata is also preserved. And if, for example, you restore an encrypted file to a different location with different IRM settings, you won't be able to open it.

Makes sense?
Asahi
Expert

Post by Asahi »

Hi Polina,

Thank you for response.

Little by little, I am beginning to understand.

I understand that when I back up a file from a list/library with IRM settings, the metadata of the file is also backed up.

And I understand that when I restore, this metadata is restored with it.

So, I have an additional confirmation,

> And if, for example, you restore an encrypted file to a different
> location with different IRM settings, you won't be able to open it.

Am I correct in understanding that if I restore a file with IRM settings for the original location list/library, the problem will not occur if the IRM settings have not been changed on the Microsoft 365 side?

I was thinking that I would need to reconfigure the IRM.

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Asahi,

If you restore a file with IRM settings to its initial location, it'll be fully accessible according to the IRM rules.
When restored to a new location with different IRM rules, there can be problems with opening such a file.
Asahi
Expert

Post by Asahi »

Hi Polina,

Thank you for information.

In order to introduce VBM365 v7 to Customer, I would like to make sure that my understanding is correct. :D

#1#
VBM365 v7 allows backup of SharePoint lists and libraries with IRM settings.
※ This is because metadata is backed up along with the files.

#2#
If the IRM settings for SharePoint lists and libraries are changed, only the IRM setting changes will not be backed up.
Only if the list and library files are modified will they be backed up, including the new IRM settings.

#3#
SharePoint lists and libraries with IRM settings can be restored and files can be opened immediately if the IRM settings of the restore destination are the same as the backup source.
※ No need to reconfigure IRM after restore

#4#
If the IRM settings for the backup source and restore destination are different, the file cannot be opened.
※ IRM needs to be reconfigured after restore?

Kind Regards,
Asahi.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Asahi,

#1#
VBM365 v7 backs up SharePoint lists and libraries with IRM settings, but IRM settings are not preserved.

#2#
If the IRM settings for SharePoint lists and libraries are changed, only the IRM setting changes will not be backed up.
Only if the list and library files are modified will they be backed up, including their new IRM settings.

#3#
Backed up SharePoint lists and libraries can be restored, but their IRM settings will not be preserved.
Restored files can be opened immediately if the IRM settings of the restore destination are the same as the backup source.
※ No need to reconfigure IRM after restore

#4#
If the IRM settings for the backup source and restore destination are different, the file cannot be opened.
Asahi
Expert

Post by Asahi »

Hi Polina,

Thank you!!

Kind Regards,
Asahi.