Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

VBO Repo Folder Names

Post by agrob »

Good Day

Recently discovered that folder have names with a year in the future. For example:

I'm wondering how does this happen and what happens to files in those repos if retention is over... is it just a bug in folder names or does it also affect retention period (for example if i have set a retention to 10 Years, when does an object in the folder "2092" get deleted?
VBO 4.0.1.531
It happens on Sharepoint Repo. Exchange seems to be fine.

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: VBO Repo Folder Names

Post by nielsengelen »

This depends on the retention policy per repository. Could it be you have different retention policies per repository?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre,

Years in the future is not a VBO bug, but something that SharePoint brings us. Sometimes we see it's playing with files modification dates, and VBO has nothing else to do but create corresponding folders. Retention behavior remains the standard in such a case. With item-level retention, items from the 2092 folder will remain relevant for at least 72 years from now.
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Hi Polina
Thanks for your answer. Sometimes SPO su**s.. Is there any easy way to discover the affected files in VBO? Maybe just open the edb file in one of the folders or is there any other way with powershell to discovery the files in the repo with those modify dates in the future?
Best Regrads
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

To figure out what is in that repository, open the SharePoint Explorer and point it to the ADB file inside that 2092 folder.
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks, thats what i thought. would have been nice if we could query it with powershell becaue i guess from the adb file size, there must be many files in there... but i will check it with the sp explorer first
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

hello
i would like to come back to this topic as we have more and more of those Folders in the SPO/Teams Backup Repo with future Year Dates.
I have now opened one of the adb files in one of those folders (have to stop veeam services first) with Veeam Explorer for SPO and searched for created / modfied date coressponding to the year the folder is labeled (for exampe between now and year 4501 (!!) ). Now i have found one item which has a correct created date in 2020, but the modified date was 01.01.2045. My questin is, how we can get rid of the folder 4051 in the vbo repo? if i go ahead and delete or remove the item in SPO, this will not remove the folder in the repo. Can i just manually delete the folder in the repo or do i ru into some problems? (is VBM365 referring to the folder somewhere internally?)