Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Kirmis
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam 365 Azure Blob Archive Appliance

Post by Kirmis »

Hello Veeam,

According to documentation, I see that it's mandatory to deploy and use an Archiver Appliance in order to transfer backups to archive tier.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... ive&ver=60

But, I'm still searching to find out from how many days onwards the backup files will be transferred from Hot to Archive tier.
Whats the rule?

The process I assume its automated through Archiver Appliance, but after how many days the backups transfered to Archive tier?

Thank you in advance,
Nikos
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2327 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam 365 Azure Blob Archive Appliance

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Kirmis

Where does the guide state, that it is mandatory? I read the following two statements:
At this step of the wizard, you can optionally enable usage of the Azure archiver appliance when Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 copies backed-up data from Azure Blob storage to Azure Archive storage
If you do not want to use the Azure archiver appliance, skip this step and click Finish.
If you don't use the archiver appliance, VB365 proxy will need to download the backups from Azure Blob. Then they will be processed and uploaded directly to the Azure Archive Storage. This could cost you more, because you have the data egress which you have to pay.
With the appliance, there is no data egress, but you have to pay to run the appliance as a VM in azure.

The process I assume its automated through Archiver Appliance, but after how many days the backups transfered to Archive tier?
This doesn't work like in VBR. There is no rule "move after" in VB365.
You have a backup copy job. You tell the backup copy job to copy backups each day. This way each day you have a copy of the backups in Azure Blob to Azure Blob Archive.
If you want to remove backups from your Azure Blob repository earlier than in Azure Archive Storage, you have to use a shorter retention for Azure Blob.

Example:
- Retention for Azure Blob repository (backup job target): 30 days
- Retention for Azure Archive Storage repository (backup copy target): 400 days
- Backup copy schedule: daily

With this configuration, your backups will be copied daily to Azure Archive Storage. A restore points will be removed after 30 days in Azure Blob. On Azure Archive Storage, the restore point will stay for 400 days.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Kirmis
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Kirmis »

Dear Fabian,

Thanks for your reply!

I have one more consern about the 1st part.

In case that you set a Azure Blob Archive as backup repo and your Veeam 365 Server is a VM in Azure, then you will still have extra cost for the jobs?
In trying to understand the use of Blob Archive Appliance in this case.

Nikos
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2327 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nikos

No. If your VB365 server is already running as a VM in the same Azure region as the storage account, there shouldn't be any additional costs for data egress. You can skip the Archive Appliance in that case. You can always add it later if you want to use it after all.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software